Following are some biographies of families who at one time or
another lived in Henry Co. Illinois. In some cases it is the grandparent, parent, sibling, spouse or child
who was a Henry Co. resident so please read carefully!
JESSE L. LAMONT
Jessie L. Lamont, a farmer of Geneseo township, who has given a great deal of his
attention to the breeding of pure-blooded Hereford cattle, was born in Lloydtown, York county, Canada, November 22,
1848, and is a son of Daniel and Mary (Lloyd) Lamont. The former was born at Mull Scotland, in March,
1818. He was about 2 years of age when his parents left their home in the old country to come to this
continent. His father, Duncan Lamont, however, died on the ocean journey, and as his widow would not permit his
body to be buried at sea the ship was compelled to stop at an island en route. Mrs. Lamont, left as a widow with
seven children, the youngest an infant in arms, located in Caledon, Canada, where she bought land, and although it
was covered with timber she made a home for her children and gave them a good education. Daniel grew up at home and
learned the trade of a miller, which he followed through his active life. His wife, the mother the subject of
this sketch, was a daughter of Jesse and Phebe (Crossley) Lloyd. The former was born in Pennsylvania, a son
of James Lloyd, was of Welsh descent and of Quaker faith, and was reared in the state of his birth. Shortly
after his marriage, which in all probability occurred in Pennsylvania, he went to Canada, locating in the heart of
the wilderness, at what is now known as Lloydtown, named in his memory. He chose the spot on account of water power
and there erected grist and saw mills. As he owned a large tract of land he soon became a man of wealth and
prominence in the affairs of his locality. In an advisory way, he was connected with the reformers of the great
revolution and his influence was considered important enough by the British government to warrant a price being put
upon his life and those of his two companions, Jacob Blount and Tom Brown, so that the three fled to the United
States. Seeing here also notices of a reward for their apprehension, they went to Indiana, where Jesse Lloyd
sickened and died. His family, however, remained in Canada, where his widow lived to the advanced age of 96, and
where one of his sons, an uncle of Jesse Lamont, retained possession of the old homestead. In 1864, Daniel Lamont
brought his family to Illinois and located in Como, Whiteside county, where he followed his trade until his death,
which occurred in November, 190l. His wife is still living in Como at the age of eighty-six years. They had ten
children, Asenath, who married James Hopkins and lives at Como, Whiteside county, Illinois and they have five
children; Flora, who unmarried lives at Sterling, Illinois; John, who married Miss Josephine Bradford and lives at
Freeport, Illinois, where he is rearing a family of five children; Jesse L., of this sketch; Susan, who was the
wife of Joseph Morrison and died at Stewart, Iowa, leaving three children; Elizabeth, who died in infancy; Charity,
who was the wife of Henry Partridge and died in Whiteside county, leaving five children; Emily, who passed away
still unmarried; Washington Marion, a bachelor, living in Silver City, South Dakota; and Mary Ida, who died
Jesse L. Lamont was about sixteen years of age when his parents came to Illinois,
and as he had received a good common school education in the land of his birth, he here began to work for his
living. He was permitted to keep all of his wages, the greater part of which he hoped to be able to save. After
working for different farmers of Whiteside County, he came to Henry county, where for two years he herded cattle.
In 1872 he married and began his life as a farmer. For two years he rented land and then bought 91 acres in
Yorktown, which he then sold four or five years later and engaged in the mercantile business in Annawan. The
venture was most unfortunate, however, for in five years he had lost all his property and was compelled to return
to renting. For a period of eight years he toiled as a tenant in Atkinson Townshjp and then he bought some land
south of Geneseo, on which he farmed for about four years. Selling that he went to Whiteside county, where he had
purchased 240 acres, on which he lived for seven years, coming at the end of that time to the place he owns in
Geneseo township. This consists of 8O acres on section 22, for which he paid at the rate of $110.00 an acre, but
which in 1909 brought $225.00, the banner price. In the later 8O's Mr. Lamont began the breeding of a high grade of
Hereford cattle and in 1899 he began to breed pure blooded animals entirely and has since devoted himself to that
phase of the stock business. He has exhibited at various fairs in Cambridge, Kewanee, Princeton, Aledo and
Kankakee, winning first prize in each. He also exhibited at the state fair in Des Moines, Iowa, where his animals
received fourth place. Ambitious and a man of executive ability, he attained a high place in the ranks of the
agricu1turists of his township. He recently disposed of his farm here and contemplates retiring to the city of
Geneseo, but he still retains possession of the two hundred and forty acres of arable land he owns in Clarke
county, Iowa, and so will not soon lose his sense of relationship with the life to which the best years of his
manhood have been devoted.
In Atkinson, March 19, l872, Mr. Lamont wedded Miss Mary J. Pritchard of Alba
township. She was born in County Down, Grey Abbey, Ireland, and was 11 years of age when her parents, Henry and
Mary (Boyd) Pritchard came to America. The family were eleven days in crossing the ocean, and after reaching our
shores located in Alba township, Henry county, Illinois. Mrs. Lamont was the ninth in order of birth in a family of
ten children born to her father through his two marriages: William, died at Mitchellville, Iowa, leaving one child;
James, lives in Oregon; Samuel, is a resident of Alba township; Henry, passed away, leaving six children; Alex also
died, leaving three children; Alice became the wife of John Pritchard and lives in Ireland on the old home place;
Robert, is a resident of Geneseo and has four children; Hugh also lives in Geneseo and has two children; Mary is
now Mrs. Lamont; and Sarah is the wife of Samuel McCullough and lives in Marne, Iowa, where she is rearing her six
Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lamont. Myrtle married Walter Cady,
whose sketch appears in another part of this work; William H., married Miss Lavinia Hill and lives near
Prophetstown, Whiteside county. They have three children: Lloyd, Irene and Millard. Alice Mabel became the wife of
Clarence Arnett, of Whiteside County, and has a daughter, Alice M. May Ida died at the age of five years. Edwin
Lloyd is at home, as is Maude Irene, the youngest of the family.
Mr. and Mrs. Lamont and their children are members of the Congregational church,
of which he is a trustee. While he lived in Atkinson township and in Whiteside county he was for a number of years
superintendent of Sunday schools. Politically he is a republican and a man deeply concerned for the public welfare,
especially for the advancement of schools. For four terms he served as school director, while he was a resident of
Atkinson township. In that period he served two terms as assessor for two years, fulfilling his duties with credit
to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. While a citizen of Annawan, he joined the ranks of the
Masons and is now a loyal member of Stewart lodge.
Notes: Jesse’s father was Donald Lamont. Donald Lamont’s mother was Mary
MacArthur. Jesse Lloyd’s father was William Lloyd. Jesse Lloyd was married in Canada. Jesse Lloyd’s companions in
exile were William Lyon MacKenzie and Samuel Lount
Source: History Of Henry County,
Illinois, Volume II Pages 758-760 By Henry L. Kiner The Pioneer
Publishing Company Chicago, Illinois 1910
Submitted by Suzanne Franck
We wish to make particular mention of another old settler who has done so much
toward promoting the growth and development of the agricultural section of Knox county. F. A. Larson is the
gentleman in question, and he is the owner of a fine farm on section two, township twenty-nine, range two, west,
where he has a substantial home and is one of the most highly esteemed citizens of that region.
Mr. Larson was born in Sweden March 6, 1861, and was reared on his father's farm
in that country until about the age of five years, when the family left their native land and took passage for
America on a steamboat. After a long and tedious voyage, they landed in New York, and went at once to
Illinois. There the father worked at his trade of carpenter and later rented a farm in Henry county,
Illinois, remaining there for about fifteen years. From there they came to Nebraska, locating in Burt county, where
the father bought one hundred and sixty acres of land.
When Mr. F. A. Larson reached the age of twenty-five years he started out for
himself, renting land for several years. He came to Knox county in 1891, and bought a quarter section of fair land
on section two, township twenty-nine, range two, west, and this be intends to make his permanent home. When
Mr. Larson bought his place in Knox county, not an improvement had been made on it. The land was in a wild state
and was purchased for twelve dollars and fifty cents per acre.
Our subject has built a house, erected good barns, and fenced the farm. In 1910
Mr. Larson refused one hundred dollars per acre for his farm. He is engaged in general farming, raising cattle,
hogs, grain and hay.
Mr. Larson is unmarried; his sister, Josephine, is his housekeeper. He is a member
of the Swedish Lutheran church, and in politics is a republican.
Source: Compendium of History,
Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden Publishing Co,
Chicago IL 1912
LATIMER, JAMES - Farmer, section 15, P. O. Yandalia. Was born in New London
county, Connecticut, February 6, 1821, and when about five years of age emigrated with his parents to Ohio. In 1836
they moved to Kosciusko county, Indiana, and he was married in that county February 1, 1844, to Miss Amanda
In October 1845, he came to Iowa and located in Davis county, and in the spring of
1846 moved to what is now Warren county. One year later he removed to Logan county, Illinois, and there made his
home until he moved to Henry county, that State, in 1852.
August 12, 1862, he enlisted in company A, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois
volunteer infantry, and served one year, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability. In October,
1863, he sold out and came to this State, living for two years in Marion county, previous to his coming here, which
was in 1865, and then moved on his present homestead.
Has held the office of justice of the peace in Marion county and township trustee
in this county. While in Henry county, Illinois, he was a member of the Board of County Supervisors, which position
he filled for seven years. Mr. and Mrs. Latimer have two daughters. Nancy (wife of James Coatney), and Hannah (wife
of W. F. Logan, of Madison county, this State)
Source: The History of Polk
County, Iowa, Union Historical Company, Birdsall, Williams &
Co. 1880 p927-928
Daniel Lehman, who is devoting his energies to agricultural pursuits on section
21, Grant township, owns and operates a valuable farm of two hundred and forty acres. This is well improved land
and in its neat and thrifty appearance indicates the careful supervision of the owner who has since March, 1875,
has made his home in Boone county. He was then a young man of twenty-seven years, his birth having occurred on the
11th of April, 1848, in Henry county, Illinois. His father, Lawrence Lehman, was born, reared and married in
Germany and on emigrating to the new world took up his abode near Geneseo, Illinois, in Henry county, being one of
the first settlers to establish a home in that portion of the state. He purchased his land from the government and
at once began the improvement of the farm upon which he reared his family and spent his remaining days passing away
there in 1865.
Daniel Lehman of this review was reared in the county of his nativity upon the old
homestead and assisted in the work of cultivating and improving the place, working in field and meadow during the
summer months while in the winter seasons he became a student of the public schools, thus acquiring the knowledge
that fitted him for life's practical and responsible duties. On attaining his majority he started out in life on
his own account and was first employed as a farm hand working by the month for two seasons. He then entered upon an
independent venture by renting an improved farm which he cultivated for a few years. Believing that good
opportunities were afforded in Iowa, which had recently been opened up to civilization, he came to Boone county in
1875 and purchased a portion of his present farm becoming the owner of a quarter section. Not a furrow had been
turned upon this raw tract of prairie, but he built a small house and at once began the task of placing the land
under the plow. Later he added eighty acres to the farm so that his landed possessions now aggregate two hundred
and forty acres. The little home has long since been replaced by a large and commodious residence which is one of
the best in the township. He has also built a substantial barn and good cribs, has a wind pump upon the place, has
planted fruit and shade trees; in fact, has made his place one of the very best farms of the community. In
connection with the cultivation of the cereals best adapted to the soil and climate he is also engaged in the
raising of good graded stock. As the years pass by he is continually adding to his capital which has come to him as
a result of his unremitting diligence and industry that never flags.
Mr. Lehman was married in this county in 1879, the lady of his choice being Miss
Caroline Vetter, a native of Germany, who, when a little maiden of seven summers, crossed the Atlantic to the new
world and was reared in Whiteside county, Illinois. By her marriage she has become the mother of eight children:
Ida M., the wife of Jacob Schneider, a farmer, residing near Grand Junction, Iowa; Harvey L., who is aiding in
carrying on the home farm; Alice C., the wife of Fred Wagner, of South Dakota; Charles, who also assists his
father; Minnie, Vernice L., Warner A., and Vern E., all at home.
Mr. Lehman is a Republican and since 1872, when he voted for General Grant, has
supported each presidential nominee of the party. He and his wife belong to the Evangelical Association. He is a
man of good business ability, enterprise and keen discernment and in his business career has brooked no obstacles
that could be overcome by determination and honorable effort. Thus he has advanced from an humble financial
position to one of affluence.
Source: A Biographical Record of
Boone County Iowa, Illustrated; The S. J. Clarke Publishing
Company, New York & Chicago, 1902.
WILLIAM D. LEIBEE
William D. Leibee, who is living retired in Amherst, formerly engaged in
stockraising and was very successful in that occupation. He owns five hundred and sixty acres of land, from
which he receives a handsome income. His birth occurred on the 4th of March, 1840, in Middletown,
Butler county, Ohio, and his parents were George and Marguerite (Deem) Leibee, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio
respectively. While a resident of Ohio the father engaged in butchering but after removing to Henry county,
Illinois, in 1855, he turned his attention to farming, acquiring title to three sections of land near Brown's
Grove. He passed away in Henry county and his demise was deeply regretted by his many friends. To him and his wife
were born twelve children, namely: John, who enlisted in an Illinois regiment for service in the Civil war and died
while in the army; Alonzo, who died in Ohio; Melissa, the wife of Anderson Lytle; Sarah Elizabeth, who married
William Wayne, of Orion, Illinois; Jane, the wife of James Noonan, of Henry county, Illinois; William D.; Joseph,
who died in Geneseo, Illinois; Jacob, who resides in Geneseo; Daniel, a resident of Bakersfield, California; Ella,
the widow of Alonzo Monesmith, of Geneseo; and two who died in infancy.
William D. Leibee was fifteen years of age when he accompanied his parents to
Illinois and there grew to manhood. In 1861, when twenty-one years of age, he attempted to enlist as a
soldier in the Civil war but was rejected on account of a crippled arm. He decided to devote his life to
farming, to which occupation he had been reared, and followed agricultural pursuits in Illinois until 1883, when he
came to Buffalo county, Nebraska, where he rented land for nine years. By carefully saving his money he
accumulated sufficient capital at the end of that time to enable him to purchase the Black ranch in Divide
township, which comprised two hundred and forty acres. He largely concentrated his energies upon stockraising
and as he understood the business thoroughly and watched the market carefully he seldom failed to sell to
advantage and as the years passed his resources increased. He purchased additional land and now owns five
hundred and sixty acres in this county. In 1905 he retired and moved to Amherst, where he has since lived, enjoying
the comforts of life.
Mr. Leibee was married in Henry county, Illinois, to Miss Sarah Elizabeth Gibbs,
who was born in New York on the 12th of September, 1844, and is a daughter of Asahel and Elizabeth Ann (Burpee)
Gibbs, natives of Vermont. When Mrs. Leibee was twelve years of age the family removed to Henry county, Illinois,
and there both of her parents passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Leibee have two living children. Grant, who was born in
Illinois, married Miss Alice Murray and they have four children: Nellie, the wife of Clark Thomas, a traveling man
living in Kearney and the mother of two sons, Robert Clark and Keith; William, who is farming in Grant township and
is married and has a son, William Jr.; and Lloyd and Harry Frank, both at home. George, the younger son, married
Miss Lizzie Murray, by whom he has a son, Frederick, and they reside in Colona, Illinois.
Mr. Leibee casts his ballot in support of the candidates and measures of the
democratic party and discharges to the full all of the duties of citizenship but has never been
an aspirant for office. He and his wife have resided in Buffalo county for over thirty years and during that time
have seen much of its development from a pioneer region to the prosperous and advanced farming district that it is
today. They have done their part in bringing about this change and are justly held in high esteem by all who know
them. Their success is the direct result of their hard work and good management and none begrudges them the leisure
which they are now enjoying.
Source: Buffalo County Nebraska
and Its People; S J Clarke Publishing Company Chicago 1916
JAMES B. LESTER
LESTER, JAMES B., farmer, P. O. Shenandoah; born January 5, 1823, in New York,
where he remained with his parents until twenty-two years of age, when he emigrated to Henry county, Illinois, near
where Keewonee (sic) now stands. He settled on government land in 1848, opened up a farm, and participated in the
trials and hardships of the life of a pioneer.
On this farm he remained for about thirty years. He then emigrated to Fremont
county, Iowa, locating about three miles northeast of Farragut, on section nine, where he has a fine farm of 200
acres. Was married in March, 1852, to Miss Barbara S. Kimberling, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of ten
children, seven of whom are now living: Cyrus J., Frank D., Geo. W., Grant, Eddie E., Minnie B. and Emma E. Mrs.
Lester died October 28, 1878, leaving Mr. Lester with a number of young children unable to care for themselves. Mr.
Lester's mother, who is now eighty years old, makes her home with her son, and is very sprightly and intelligent
for one of her years.
Source: History of Fremont Co
IA, 1881- Fisher Twp
PARKER J LESTER
LESTER, Parker J., farmer, P. O. Sciola; born in Henry County, Illinois,
September, 1847, and resided in that county until eighteen years old, when he enlisted in company H, 134th Illinois
volunteer infantry, in which he served five and a half months. Then in February, 1864, volunteered in company H, of
the Ninth Illinois volunteer infantry, in which he served about ten months on general duty; was discharged and
returned to his home in Henry County, Illinois, and was employed upon the farm. In 1869 he emigrated to Montgomery
County, Iowa, and located where he now resides. Was married to Miss Ann Smith, March 10, 1870, by the Rev. W.
Underwood, of the M. E. Church of Henry County, Illinois. Mrs. Lester was born in Athens, Ohio, January 13, 1849,
and a daughter of John and Hannah T. Smith, natives of Ohio. Have four children: Henry S., Fred. H., Clara E., and
Kate. Mr. Lester owns 260 acres of land; is secretary of the grange society, also township assessor.
Source: History of Montgomery
County, Iowa, Washington Township
ABRAM JACKSON LEWIS
With the agricultural interest of Cornwall township, Abram J. Lewis has been
closely identified for a number of years, and is now the owner of an excellent farm on section 9. He was born
near Chillicothe, Ohio, on the 17th of February, 1851. His father, John Lewis, was born April 17, 1820, in
Indiana township, Indian county, Pennsylvania, and when young removed to Ohio with his parents, William and
Elizabeth Lewis, also natives of the Keystone state. He grew to manhood upon a farm in Richland township,
Jackson county, Ohio and on the 4th of May 1847, wedded Miss Mary Cozad, of the county.
On the first coming to Illinois, in 1851, John Lewis located in Fulton county, but
the following year took up his residence in Cornwall township, Henry county, where he purchased a soldier's claim
of one hundred and sixty acres on section 21. In his farming operations here he met with remarkable success,
and added to his landed possessions from time to time until he had eleven hundred and sixty acres of well improved
land, most of which was unbroken when it came into his possession, but being industrious, energetic and
enterprising he became the owner of one of the most valuable estates in this county.
In religious belief he was a Baptist and in politics, a Democrat, and was a man
highly respected and esteemed by all who knew him. He died March 5, 1900, and his wife passed away July 26,
1898, the remains of both being interred in Liberty Church burying ground in Cornwall township.
To this worthy couple were born fourteen children as follows: William J., married
Eliza J. Claypool and is now deceased; Abram J., our subject, is next in order of birth, Samuel F., married Susan
J. Rogers and follows farming in Atkinson township, this county; John H., married Delia Keppler and lives in
Geneseo; James Andrew married Elizabeth Bently and makes his home in Atkinson township; George W., married Florence
De Bloie, and resides in Jasper county, near Newton, Illinois; Francis M., married Luzetta Williamson and is
engaged in farming near Peoria; Charles A., married Lillian Carney and lives in Kansas City; Charity A., is the
wife of James Fell, a resident of Geneseo, this county; Stephen A., married Charity Cozad and is engaged in
agricultural pursuits in Cornwall township, section 20; Alfred married Jennie Ole and is a farmer of Munson
township; Albert T., a twin of Alfred, died in infancy; Robert lives in Kansas City; and Mary is the wife of George
Hudson, of Indian Territory.
The subject of this sketch was only a year old when brought by his parents to
Henry county, Illinois, and in the school of his home district he secured the greater part of his education, though
he attended school at Atkinson one term. During his boyhood and youth he assisted in the labors of the farm
and early acquired an excellent knowledge of agricultural pursuits which has been a great benefit in his life
work. He is now the owner of a well improved and highly cultivated farm of two hundred and eighty
acres. His political support is always given the Democracy, and he capably filled the office of constable one
term, but has never cared for political honors.
On the 13th of May, 1876, Mr. Lewis was united in marriage with Miss Mary
Catherine Reese, a native of New York state, who died March 14, 1881. Of the two children born of that union, one,
Lotta, married Warren Dunham and resides in Geneseo township. The other, Roland, died aged one year and ten
months. Mr. Lewis was again married, April 14, 1885, his second union being with Miss Martha J. McFarland, by
whom he had one child, Mamie Blanch, who died in infancy.
Mrs. Lewis' parents are John and Samantha (Julian) McFarland, both natives of
northeastern Ohio, the former born February 4, 1829, the latter August 22, 1832. They are now residents of
Missouri. The names and dates of birth of their children are as follows: Henry A., December 29, 1852; Mary
E., March 24, 1854; Sophia and Cynthia, twins, March 12, 1856; William S., February 25, 1858; Martha J., December
12, 1859; Joseph A., July 25, 1861; Robert S., February 25, 1863; Cora B., March 29, 1856; Emma F., December 25,
1866; Tony B., April 27, 1869; Leonard, July 14, 1871; and Agnes, April 25, 1873. All are living with the
exception of Leonard, who died July 16, 1872. The father removed to Missouri twenty seven years ago, and has
followed farming throughout life.
Submitted by: Rachelle Curtis
For half a century, John Lewis, now deceased, was one of the highly esteemed
citizens of Henry county, and in early life was prominently identified with its agricultural interest, though he
was living a retired life in Geneseo at the time of his death, which occurred March 5, 1900. He was born in
Pennsylvania, April 17, 1820, but was only three years old when he removed with his parents to Jackson county,
Ohio, where he continued to make his home for several years. During his boyhood and youth he assisted his
father in the labors of the home farm, and early acquired an excellent knowledge of the occupation to which he
devoted his active life.
In 1847 Mr. Lewis wedded Miss Mary Cozad, of Ohio, and three years later came to
Henry county, Illinois, locating in Cornwall township, where he purchased land, and successfully engaged in general
farming and stock raising for several years, accumulating a large property. In 1878 he laid aside all
business cares and removed to Geneseo, where he lived retired until his death. He was called upon to fill
nearly all the local offices of his township, and in all the relations of life was found true and faithful to every
trust repose in him. He commanded the confidence and respect of his associates and was held in high regard by
all who knew him.
Mr. Lewis' first wife died in 1897. By that union he had fourteen children,
namely: William, deceased; Abraham, a resident of Cornwall township; Samuel, who lived in Atkinson township,
this county; George W., who is engaged in farming in Jasper county, Illinois; John and Stephen, both residents of
Cornwall township; Francis M., of Peoria county, Illinois; Charles A., of Kansas City, Missouri; Charity, wife of
James Fell, of Geneseo; Alfred of Munson township, this county; Robert, of Kansas City, Missouri; Mary, wife of
George Hudson, of Indian Territory; Albert, who died in infancy; and Andrew, of Spring Creek, Illinois.
On the 29th of November, 1899, Mr. Lewis married Mrs. Kate Crain, a native of
McHenry county, Illinois. Her parents Horace and Rebecca (Warner) Mitchell, were born in New York state, and
on coming to Illinois about 1850 settled in McHenry county. Her father was a railroad conductor, and was with
the Rock Island road for nearly fifty years, during which time he made his home in Geneseo. He was killed
while in the discharge of his duties in 1877. Mrs. Lewis' mother had died many years before and for his
second wife he married Eva Mitchell, by whom he had two children. There were five children by the first
marriage and four of the number are still living, Mrs. Lewis being the third in order of birth. Mr. Mitchell
was a prominent Mason and took an active interest in the work of that order. Mrs. Lewis' first husband was
Bruce Crain, who was born in New York state, and was only two years old when brought by his parents to this county,
the family locating in Atkinson township. Mr. Crain was a soldier of the Civil War and followed the
carpenter's trade for many years. By her first marriage Mrs. Lewis has two sons; Albert, who was born in
Kansas in 1877, now employed in the boiler shop at Kewanee, and who served as a soldier in the Spanish-American war
in Porto Rico; and Frank, who was born in 1866 and lives with his mother in Geneseo, and is attending the high
Submitted by: Rachelle Curtis
HON. ADAM LIEBERKNECHT
The life work of Adam Lieberknecht has had such direct bearing upon the growth and
progress of Geneseo and Henry county as to render it imperative that mention be made of him in this volume. Not to
know him in this part of the state is to argue oneself unknown, for through half a century he has here resided and
during much of the period has been editor and proprietor of the Geneseo Republic. He was born in the province of
Hesse-Darmstadt, near Weinheim, May 9, 1835. His parents were John and Christina Lieberknecht, both of whom were
natives of Germany. The father died in that country in 1843, at the age of thirty-seven years, and his widow, long
surviving him, came to America in 1852 with her two daughters, her two sons having preceded her in 1851. They
settled in New York city, where they remained for three years, and the sons began working at the printer's trade,
Adam Lieberknecht making that business his life work. George Lieberknecht, the eldest son, made his way westward to
Chicago in 1854 and the same year walked from that city to Rock Island before the railroad was built. He took up
his abode there and for many years made that place his home but is now deceased. The daughters of the family were
Catharine, who became the wife of F. Sengenwald and is now deceased; and Mary, who resides in Geneseo,
Adam Lieberknecht spent the first sixteen years of his life in the fatherland and
during that period acquired his education in the public schools. He then accompanied his brother on the emigration
to the new world and in 1856 took up his abode in Rock Island, Illinois. In the spring of 1857, however, he made
permanent location in Geneseo, and his expert knowledge of the printing trade enabled him to secure a position in
the office of the Geneseo Republic, then owned by I. S. Hyatt. Subsequently Mr. Lieberknecht formed a partnership
with George A. Hobbs and purchased the Republic. This relation was maintained for sixteen years, at the end of
which time Mr. Lieberknecht became sole proprietor and has continued as the owner of the paper to the present time.
It is published in the interests of the republican party and is well known as the champion of progressive movements
resulting in substantial benefit to the city. The paper presents a neat and attractive appearance and in connection
with its publication. Mr. Lieberknecht owns and conducts a fine job printing plant and does a general job printing
business. He has made this a profitable enterprise and in his life his work has kept in touch with the spirit of
continuous advancement that has been last characteristic of modern journalism.
In 1859 Mr. Lieberknecht was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Kiefer of Geneseo
and unto them was born a son, J. F., usually known as Frank. He married Anna Fehlman. Mrs. Caroline Lieberknecht
died in the fall of 1864 and in the autumn of the succeeding year Mr. Lieberknecht wedded Miss Rosina Rieger, by
whom he had three children: William, Charles and Emma. The three sons are all in the Republic office. Charles
married Miss Helen Antes and they have two children: Catharine and Priscilla. Emma is the wife of Ansel Purple and
they reside in Columbia, Pennsylvania, where they are rearing their family of four children: Ansel, Leonora,
Margaret and William. The death of Mrs. Rosina Lieberknecht occurred in January, 1874, and for his third wife Mr.
Lieberknecht chose Miss Priscilla H. Fehlman, whom he wedded in November, 1875. The two children of that marriage
are Amelia and Leonora. The former is the wife of Lou de Vausney, assistant cashier of the Seaport National Bank of
New York city, and they reside at Newark, New Jersey. Leonora is the wife of Dr. Gustav T. Metz, also of
Mr. and Mrs. Lieberknecht are members of the Congregational church and are
interested in all those measures and movements which tend to promote the moral, intellectual and esthetic progress
as well as the material advancement of the community. In politics Mr. Lieberknecht has always been a stalwart
republican and has occupied a number of positions of trust and responsibility. Through appointment of Governor
Oglesby he served for four years as canal commissioner, was appointed United States consul to Tampico, Mexico,
under President Harrison and was retired by President Cleveland. President McKinley appointed him United States
consul to Zurich, Switzerland, where he represented the home government for eleven years and then resigned. In
October, 1908, he returned to Geneseo and is now occupying the attractive old residence which he built many years
ago in which he reared his family. In years gone by he was a trustee of his township and also a member of the
Geneseo board of education. In all matters relative to the public welfare he has taken an advanced stand and his
labors have been far-reaching and effective forces in promoting the progress of the many interests bearing upon the
county's growth. A life of intense and well directed activity has brought him to a position among the substantial
citizens of Geneseo, where he not only owns his well equipped printing office but also a beautiful home and other
valuable real estate, which contribute materially to his comfort in the evening of life. While he has now passed
the seventy-fourth milestone he is a splendidly preserved man who in spirit and interests seems yet in his
Source: Henry L. Kiner, History
of Henry County Illinois, Volume II, Chicago: Pioneer Publishing
George Leggett, grain dealer at Utica, came to Nebraska in 1869, and took up a
homestead on Section 28, Town 12, Range 2 east, Seward County, where he lived one year, then moved to the town of
Seward, and started the first harness shop in the place, which business he conducted till 1872, at that time going
to Antelope County. After remaining there three years he returned to Seward in 1875, and in the fall of 1876
embarked in the grain business in Seward, conducting it there until the fall of 1877, when he removed to Utica,
where he still continued his former pursuit, and has since successfully operated that business, besides being
engaged in the mercantile trade two years; was born in Butler County, Ohio, February 26, 1847, removing to Illinois
in 1855, where he resided till he came to Nebraska, and was there married in Henry County in 1865, to Miss
Georgiana Phelps. Mr. Liggett is a member of the I. O. O. F., Seward Lodge, No. 26.
Source: Andreas' History of
Nebraska, 1883, Seward County, Town of Utica
GEORGE B. LITTLE
George B. Little, a physician of Burlington, Iowa, was born in Henry County, Ill.,
April 15, 1851, and is a son of Caleb J. T. and Eliza Ann (Brooks) Little. His father was a native of New
Hampshire, born in 1811, while his mother was born in 1813, in Massachusetts. Having heard very favorable accounts
of the broad prairies of Illinois, Caleb Little resolved there to make his future home. In 1837, after many days'
travel, he located in Henry County at a place called Wetherfsield, where he built the first shop and was the first
blacksmith. The following year he returned to his old home for his family, then consisting of his wife and one son,
and commenced life in earnest. When he first went to Henry County he had but twenty-five cents in money and his
tools, but with characteristic energy he set to work, and after a few years had accumulated enough to establish a
general merchandise store, in which he was quite successful. When the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad was
built through Henry County the town of Wetherfield was left a mile to the south, and Kewanee sprang into existence.
Mr. Little soon removed to the latter place, and again embarked in a general merchandise store, as a member of the
firm of Little, Perkins & Co. Possessing more than ordinary business ability, honest and upright in all his
dealings, his enterprises were always successful, and he accumulated a comfortable competence.
Eight children were born to Caleb Little and his estimable wife: Charles, who
represented his district in the Legislature, and is a successful physician of Manhattan, Kan., was Assistant
Surgeon in the 19th Illinois Infantry, and participated in the march to the sea, and in the grand review at
Washington; Ellen is the wife of George W. Perkins, a successful farmer and stock-raiser of Fremont County, Iowa;
Sarah J. is the wife of Dr. J. F. Todd, of Chicago; Harriet, deceased wife of Rev. John Griffin, whose home is in
Texas; William C. is an attorney at law and real-estate agent, of Wichita, Kan., where he has accumulated a large
property; Eliza A., wife of Frank Reid, a prominent farmer of Henry County, Ill.; George B., of this sketch; and
John J., a dental surgeon of Burlington.
In early life Mr. Little was a Jackson Democrat, but afterward affiliated with the
Whigs, and later was one of the stanch Abolitionists. He was always a friend to education, and is liberal in his
support of educational institutions. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, of Kewanee,
George B. Little, the subject of this sketch, received a liberal education in the
schools of Kewanee, and afterward took a partial course at the State Agricultural College, at Manhattan, Kan. In
1870 he commenced reading medicine in the office of Dr. Todd, at Kewanee, and subsequently attended lectures at
Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which noted institution he was graduated in the class of '73. After completing
his studies he immediately came to Burlington, where he has since been constantly engaged in the practice of his
profession. He has been eminently successful, and has gained a reputation which many an older physician might well
envy. he is a member of the Des Moines County Medical Society, in which he has filled several position, and as a
citizen, he is held in high esteem for his sterling worth and upright character.
In 1874, at Kewanee, Ill., Dr. Little was united in marriage with Miss Esther M.
Palmer, a daughter of G. N. Palmer. She was born in Henry County, Ill., in 1854, and they are the parents of four
children--Palmer J., Lulu B., Etta Floy and George B., Jr. The Doctor and his wife are members of the
Congregational Church, of Burlington.
Source: Portrait and Biographical
Album of Des Moines County, Iowa; Chicago: Acme Publishing,
HENRY G LITTLE
Every man of mark has strong characteristics, which stand out prominent like the
veins on high-blooded animals. This is pre-eminently true of Hon. Henry G. Little. The stony soil of New Hampshire
could not detain when hearing the flowing descriptions of the great West, and he left the graves of his fathers in
Goffstown, New Hampshire, where he was born in 1813, and came to Peoria county, Illinois, in the year 1835. That
journey by canal boat and stage of thirty days, now made pleasantly in as many hours, prepared him here to be as
conspicuous in his activities as he was then in his early novel journey. Removed to Weathersfield (sic) now
known as Kewanee, Illinois.
Here he was State collector, and Sheriff of the county, and for two years
represented a district embracing several counties in the State Legislature at a period of intense political
excitement, and was the recipient of other honors in connection with important trusts.
Eleven years ago the tidal wave brought him to Iowa, just as real estate came into
demand, and his good fortune is quite a personal concern, being the just reward of sagacity and enterprise, while a
community is debtor to one with grasp of thought and energy in execution. It was like Mr. Little, who ornamented
his lands with hedges and trees, while proving their adaptation to such grasses as perfect the best herds in other
States, to next offer proof that the bloods will thrive in Iowa, equally with those in the blue grass regions, and
good herds, the promise of fine beef and high prices, were brought to us, and next from agricultural chaos, a
county society, whose judicious management was destined to bring order and success. Then our young city asked his
service as mayor, and secured a servant whose vigilance was a terror to evil-doers, and an inspiration to all
having pride in their town. Most eminent was his service in securing one of the most beautiful of cemeteries,
grass, plat drainage, walks, trees and lodge; if not mute these would speak his praise, awakening a new interest in
ornamenting our home of the dead. As officer of the schools, and a trustee of the Congregational society, of which
church he is a member, he has rendered great assistance. The Republicans of the State made him a delegate to the
national presidential convention in 1872. The analysis of such a character will be made after death, and any
attempt to give it now would be imperfect, if not in questionable taste.
We may be pardoned for congratulating our friend on his elegant home, and that his
wife has been brought almost from the grave to health with the pleasantest family surroundings, and this mention.
Etta, the youngest daughter (now Mrs. Dr. Holyoke, of Chicago), Mrs. Dr. Alvord, of Michigan, is the next, then the
wife of lawyer Lyman, of the firm of Haines & Lyman, and the next, Mrs. Prof. Macy, of Iowa College, and the
eldest, Mrs. Veits, whose husband with rural taste could hedge in all the family "professionals." The father of all
the above, who has been so important a factor in western society for nearly fifty years, we judge could not be
easily restrained in his activities, nor well spared from home business, or relieved by the British and American
Loan Association, with which he is associated actively as confidential advisor.
Source: The History of Poweshiek
County, Iowa; Des Moines: Union Hist. Co., 1880. Grinnell Twp pg
JOHN J. LITTLE, D.D.S.
John J. Little, D.D.S., a popular dentist of Burlington, Iowa, was born in
Kewanee, Henry County, Ill., Feb. 8, 1857, and is a son of Caleb and Eliza A. (Brooks) Little. His father was
born in Salem, N. H., and was a lineal descendant of George Little, a member of the old Plymouth Colony, and one of
the historic pilgrims who landed from the Mayflower on the Massachusetts coast. His mother was born in
Groton, Mass., and descended from an old New England family of Scotch and Irish ancestry.
Dr. Little received a liberal education, and entered upon a study of
dentistry. He took his first course of lectures at the State University of Michigan in 1878, and the
following year opened a dental office at Burlington, Iowa, where he has been in practice continuously since, except
the months employed in his second course of lectures, taken at the State University of Iowa, where he graduated in
the class of '87. He is also a member of the Iowa State Dental Society.
Dr. Little was married at Burlington, Iowa, on 6th June, 1882, to Miss Alice L.
Shirley, daughter of Dudley Shirley. Mrs. Little was born at Syracuse, N. Y. They have two daughters,
Eva and Alice. Dr. and Mrs. Little are members of the Congregational Church. The doctor is a Republican
in politics, but has neither time nor inclination for official service, preferring to devote his undivided
attention to the practice of his profession, in which he has established a reputation for skill and good work
second to none in the city.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Des Moines County,
Iowa; Chicago: Acme Publishing, 1888.
CHARLES OTTO LOBECK
Source: US House of
Representatives, representing Nebraska
LOBECK, Charles Otto, a Representative from Nebraska; born in Andover, Henry
County, Ill., April 6, 1852; attended the public schools in Geneseo, Ill., the German Wallace College, Berea,
Ohio, and the Dyhrenfurth Commercial College, Chicago, Ill.; moved to Dayton, Iowa, in 1869 and was employed as
a clerk in a general store; commercial traveler in Iowa and Nebraska 1875-1892; engaged in the hardware
business in Omaha 1892-1895; elected as a Republican to the State senate in 1892; member of the city council
of Omaha 1897-1903, during which time he was engaged in the real estate and insurance business; affiliated with the
Democratic Party in 1896; served as city controller from 1903 until 1911; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-second
and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1911-March 3, 1919); chairman, Committee on Expenditures in the
Department of the Treasury (Sixty-third through Sixty-fifth Congresses); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in
1918 to the Sixty-sixth Congress; again engaged in the real estate and insurance business; died in Omaha, Nebr.,
January 30, 1920; interment in Prospect Hill Cemetery.
Source: Biographical Directory of
the United States Congress
Scandinavia has given to the northern states a large percentage of its thrifty
citizens, and among those that Sweden has given to the state of Nebraska, possessed of all the sterling qualities
of the Norseman, is Leo Logerwell, druggist and merchant of Naper.
Mr. Logerwell was born in the village of Fiegeholm, June 19, 1861. He has, since
coming to America, slightly changed the spelling of his surname, a fact it might be well to preserve in the family
archives. He is a son of Carl Peter Lagervall, who died when the son Leo was but six months old. The mother, who
before her marriage was Inga Peterson, came to America with her orphaned children in 1864. Crossing the North Sea
from Copenhagen to Hull, they went by rail thence to Liverpool and embarked there in a sailing vessel for New York.
The mother brought her little family of three children to Andover, Illinois, driving by wagon from Geneseo, which
at that time was the terminus of the railroad. Of the three children, Hulda married Olaf Olsen, and lives at
Weyerhauser, Wisconsin, while Carl E. is a resident of Danville, Illinois.
Leo made his home in Andover until the spring of 1879, when he migrated to the
west, settling in Lindsburg, McPherson county, Kansas, the greatest center of Scandinavian musical talent in the
United States. He had learned pharmacy in Andover in 1875, and was in the drug business in Lindsburg from 1879 to
1882, and in Clay Center from that date until the spring of 1884, when he settled in Saronville, Clay county, the
first day of June. In the spring of 1887, he removed to Holt county and bought a farm eleven miles north of
Atkinson. He lived here and in town until 1891. During 1889, he dealt in western lands, trading at one time for a
drug store in Ohio, which he disposed of later in the year. From 1892 to 1902, he was engaged in the drug business
in Aurora, Bertrand and Atkinson, following which he lived in Freemont where he was in the insurance business until
the fall of 1903, when he moved to Oakland and remained until coming to Naper in 1905.
For a number of years fortune frowned upon him - work as he would, success did not
attend his efforts until his removal to Boyd county. Since coming to Naper, he has prospered as he did in the early
years of his business career, before malign misfortune overtook him. Besides a full stock of drugs, medicines, and
chemicals, Mr. Logerwell carries a choice line of fancy groceries and fruits, keeping his stock fresh and
Mr. Logerwell was married in Salina, Kansas, January 4, 1881, to Miss Jennie
Peterson, a native of New Sweden, Iowa. Her father, Nels Peterson, was a minister of the Methodist church; the
mother was a Miss Anna Christina Heden before her marriage. They moved to Kansas in the summer of 1871, from
Chicago, where they had been living for some years prior to migrating to the trans Missouri country. From Salina,
they moved to Saronville in 1882, and made their home in Nebraska after that date. To Mr. and Mrs. Logerwell seven
children were born, six of whom are living as follows: Wendell is married and lives in Green River, Wyoming; Reuben
is a partner of his father; Raymond runs a barber shop in Naper, and Leonard is associated with his father in
business, while Edna, who has become proficient in music is the wife of John Mannhalter of Tripp county, South
Dakota; and Carl, who is still in school.
During the fearful blizzard of January 12, 1888, Mr. Logerwell lived at Atkinson
and assisted in getting the children all safely home from school. During the Indian scare succeeding the battle of
Wounded Knee, Mr. Logerwell happened to be at Rushville and witnessed the rush of soldiers into the region to
prevent any further acts of hostility.
After years of vicissitudes, in which he with his family suffered many privations,
fortune has at last showered on him the success for which all men strive, and with his business in the prosperous
condition it is, he can look with equinamity [sic] on the future and feel that he and his children need never come
Mr. Logerwell is a republican in political views, and is a member of the Odd
Source: The Compendium of
History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden
Publishing Co, Chicago IL 1912
Andrew Long, carrying on general farming and stock raising on section 7, Osco
township, is the owner of a well improved and valuable farm of two hundred and twenty-four acres. He was born in
Edford township, Henry county, Illinois, on the 19th of April, 1859, his parents being Michael and Anna B.
(Reisick) Long. The father was a native of Bavaria, Germany, and in early manhood served his country as a soldier.
Following his marriage he set sail for the United States and, after landing on the shores of the new world, came
direct to Illinois, making his home for a time about twenty miles from Chicago. Subsequently he secured employment
with the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company, working in the vicinity of Moline. Coming to Henry
county in January, 1859, he was engaged in the operation of a rented farm in Edford township for two years, on the
expiration of which period he took up his abode on a farm near Morristown, while later he located in Munson
township. After being identified with general agricultural pursuits as a renter for seven years, he bought eighty
acres of the farm which is now in possession of our subject, paying eighteen or nineteen hundred dollars for the
property. As time passed by and his financial resources increased, owing to his well directed industry and capable
management, he extended the boundaries of his place by additional purchase, buying ninety-five acres at thirty-five
dollars per acre in the year 1878, while later he purchased forty acres more at fifty dollars an acre. He placed
many substantial improvement on the property and brought the fields under a high state of cultivation, annually
gathering rich harvests, which found a ready and profitable sale on the market He passed away on this farm on the
2d of October, 1884, when about sixty-six years of age, and his demise was deeply mourned by all who knew him, for
his life had ever been upright and honorable in all relations. He was reared in the Catholic faith and assisted in
the erection of a church of that denomination at Geneseo. His political allegiance was unswervingly given to the
men and measures of the democracy, but he did not desire office as a reward for his party fealty. His widow still
survives at the age of seventy-six years. Their children were four in number, namely: Theresa, who passed away at
the age of four years; one who died in infancy; Sophia, the wife of James Kerwin, of Osco township; and Andrew, of
The last named attended the common schools in his youthful days and at an early
age became familiar with the various duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist, for his father
was in poor health and therefore much of the work of the home farm devolved upon him. In 1885 he purchased one
hundred and ten acres of land where his sister Sophia, now resides, paying sixty-five dollars an acre. In i899 he
bought eighty acres more at seventy-two dollars an acre, disposing of half of the tract to his brother-in-law,
James Kerwin. At the present time he owns two hundred and twenty-four acres in one farm on section 7, Osco
township, and in addition to cultivating the various cereals best adapted to soil and climate, is engaged in the
raising, feeding and shipping of stock. He has remodeled the residence and erected two barns, and the farm is
likewise equipped with corn cribs, a scale house, wells, windmills, etc. As the years have passed he has prospered
in his undertakings and is now widely recognized as one of the substantial, progressive and enterprising residents
of his native county.
On the 25th of February, 1892, in Western township, Mr. Long was joined in wedlock
to Miss Mary A. Keleher, a native of that township and a daughter of Daniel and Ellen (Currin) Keleher. By this
union there are four children, as follows: Daniel M., who was born April 22, '893; John A., whose natal day was
March 6, i895; Irene, born April 25, i897; and Leo Lawrence, who first opened his eyes to the light of day on the
24th of July, '900.
In i880 and !884 Mr. Long supported the democratic nominees for the presidency but
has since voted independently, casting his ballot in support of the candidates whom he believes best qualified,
regardless of party affiliation. He was a candidate for school trustee and missed election by only three or four
votes. For a long period, however, he has served as a school director and the cause of education has ever found in
him a stalwart champion. In 1909, in association with others, he circulated a petition for the erection of a
township high school and it was signed by all the districts in the township except two. He has always taken an
active and leading part in all matters pertaining to public improvement and when telephone development was
suggested he became one of the warmest advocates of the project, as well as of the rural free delivery of mail.
Both of these matters were discussed in the Farmers' Social Club, of which he is a prominent member. Mr. and Mrs.
Long have an extensive circle of friends throughout the county in which they have spent their entire lives and the
hospitality of the best homes is cordially extended to them.
Source: Henry L. Kiner, History
of Henry County Illinois, Volume II, Chicago: The Pioneer
Publishing Company, 1910
WILLIAM HENRY LYMAN
William Henry Lyman, who is now at the head of an extensive and important
mercantile enterprise as the senior partner of the Lyman-Lay Company of Kewanee, has long been numbered among the
city's most enterprising and prominent residents. His birth occurred at Whiteriver Junction, Vermont, on the 3d of
June, 1852, his parents being George and Minerva (Briggs) Lyman. The father was actively and successfully
identified with general merchandising for many years and likewise served as postmaster from 1861 until 1878, at
Whiteriver Junction, Vermont.
William Henry Lyman obtained his early education in the public schools of his
native state and afterward spent two years in a select private school at Norwich, Vermont, while subsequently he
received special instruction under the preceptorship of Hiram Orcutt. Under the direction of his father he early
became familiar with the business of merchandising and when he came to Kewanee, Illinois, in September, 1869, he
entered the department store of Lyman & Lay, of which his brother Elias was the senior partner. In 1874 he was
admitted to a partnership and the style of the firm was changed to Lyman, Lay & Lyman, which was maintained
until 1883, when Elias Lyman retired and the concern adopted the name of Lay & Lyman. Since 1905 the enterprise
has been conducted under the name of the Lyman-Lay Company and the business has continually grown until it is now
one of extensive and profitable proportions. In 1890 Mr. Lyman assisted in the organization of the Boss
Manufacturing Company and has since acted as its president. He has likewise served as the vice president of the
Union National bank since its organization and since 1904 has been the chief executive officer of the Galesburg
Kewanee Electric Railway Company. The latter corporation was incorporated on the 9th of May, 1902, and began
operating its lines on the 22d of August, 1903, while on the 6th of December, 1906, its interurban system was
extended to Galva. Mr. Lyman became a director of the company in December, 1903, and since 1904 has been its
president. His connection with any undertaking insures a prosperous outcome of the same, for it is in his nature to
carry forward to successful completion whatever he is associated with. He has earned for himself an enviable
reputation as a careful man of business, and in his dealings is known for his prompt and honorable methods, which
have won him the deserved and unbounded confidence of his fellowmen.
On the 19th of June, 1877, Mr. Lyman was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Webb
Stevens, a resident of Kewanee and a daughter of William W. Stevens, who is a retired agriculturist. Mr. and Mrs.
Lyman have a son, William Henry, Jr., who was educated in the Kewanee high school and is now associated with his
father in business.
Mr. Lyman gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is a most
loyal, public-spirited citizen whose aid and cooperation can ever be counted upon to further any movement or
measure instituted to promote the general welfare. He was on the village board of trustees for four years and for
two years of that time served as its president. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the
Congregational church, of which he is a trustee and in the work of which he is actively and helpfully interested,
having served as a Sunday-school teacher for a number of years. He belongs to the Merchants and Commercial Club and
also the Kewanee Club. The salient qualities of his life have ever commended him to the confidence, good will and
friend-ship of those with whom he has come in contact and he has always enjoyed the warm regard of a host of
Source: Henry L. Kiner, History
of Henry County Illinois, Volume II, Chicago: Pioneer Publishing Co,
Lyman Lyon, of the township of Geneseo, was the first settler in the part of Henry
County in which he is now a resident. He was born Sept. 15, 1814, in Woodstock, Conn., and is the son of Uriah and
Jerusha (Nooning) Lyon. His parents were both of English descent and were born respectively in Connecticut and
Vermont. The father of his mother was a soldier of the War of the Revolution. Mr. Lyon is the fourth in order of
birth of a family of 11 children. The family being large and the parents not in affluent circumstances, it became
necessary for the children to aid in their own maintenance at as early an age as possible, and Mr. Lyon obtained
employment in the neighborhood where his family were residents at the age of nine. He continued to assist in this
manner in the cares of his parents until he was his own man. At 21 he entered upon the acquirement of the trade of
a shoemaker. After obtaining an understanding of the details of that profession he passed the winter seasons in its
pursuit and in the summers worked as a farm assistant.
April 6, 1841, he was united in marriage to Olive H.W.. Buck. Mrs. Lyon was born
in Pomfret, Conn., July 8, 1823, and is the daughter of Aaron and Mercy (Sprague) Buck. The former was a native of
Connecticut and the latter of Massachusetts. At the time of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Lyon settled in Union, in
their native State, where the former bought a farm. He retained his ownership therein until 1850. In that year he
located in Henry County. He first bought a residence in Geneseo, where the family resided until 1853. Mr. Lyon then
made a purchase of land on section 17, which was entirely uncultivated. He paid for it the Government price of
$1.25 per acre. The farm contains 60 acres and is all under cultivation of a most creditable type. It is enclosed
and supplied with all necessary and suitable farm buildings. At the time Mr. and Mrs. Lyon took possession of
their place they were without neighbors and they kept open house in true pioneer style for all comers. They
acquired a well-deserved reputation for hospitality, and their efforts for the comfort of the strangers who called
at their door is remembered most heartily by those who were the recipients of their consideration while engaged in
the work of prospecting for a location or in preparing their own homes.
The record of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Lyon is as follows: Alvin M. lives in
the township of Edford. Mary is the wife of Hiram P. Roundtree, a teacher of elocution in the city of Chicago.
Sarah is also a teacher of elocution at Bloomington. Frank is a citizen of Grand Forks, Dak. The son first named
was born in Union, Conn., July 4, 1843 and married Achsah Adams. They have six children.
From: "Portrait and Biographical
Album of Henry Co. Illinois, 1885.
Submitted by Deborah Lacy
Note: Olive H.W.. Buck Lyon is the sister of Diana Buck Crain. A bio
is also available on site regarding her.