Henry header


Obituaries & Death Notices

BANUAT, William M. "Bill"

TOLUCA -- William M. "Bill" Banuat, 53, of Inverness, Fla., formerly of Toluca, died at 9 a.m. Monday, March 23, 1992, at Leesburg Regional Hospital in Leesburg, Fla.

Born Nov. 4, 1938, in Kewanee to Edward and Ethel Marshall Banuat, he married Janet Beyer and she survives. Also surviving are two sons, Gordon M. of Toluca and Jeffrey M. of Atlanta, Ga.; one daughter, Mrs. Gail A. Chance of Atlanta; five grandchildren; and his parents of Inverness.

He was a manager with ABC Liquor Stores in Bushnell and was of the Presbyterian faith. He moved to Inverness from Toluca 11 years ago. Services were Thursday at Hooper Funeral Homes Inc. in Inverness. Cremation rites ere accorded.

Source: Peoria Journal Star, March 27, 1992 pC6

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

BARNES, Francis Marion

“The Aurora Republican”, Thurs, Nov. 6, 1924. Volume 52, page 8 column 5. Also same obituary in The Aurora Sun, Friday November 7 1924, Volume 40, No. 2046, page 1 column 5 & 6.

F. M. Barnes Funeral is held Thursday.

A large audience of sympathizing friends filled the United Brethren Church last Thursday afternoon to attend the funeral service held for F. M. Barnes, so well known throughout the county. Last week’s paper contained the well-deserved tributes to the memory of this much beloved citizen of Aurora. Rev. H. H. Heberly of the church, preached the sermon from the text selected by Mr. Barnes himself some years ago “In my Father’s house are many mansions” A male quartette composed J. E. Stoddars, Wallace Menzle, Dr. Magnusen and Rev. Heberly sang favorite hymns at the house as well as at the church service. Mrs. Barnes was not able to attend the service at the church and a short service was held at the house for her benefit. The following obituary was read: Francis M. Barnes was born in Baltimore, Maryland, July 3, 1845 and died in Aurora, Nebraska, October 28 1924, aged 79 years, 3 months and 25 days. When about ten years of age, his parents moved to Rock Island, Illinois, where they resided on a farm. At 19 years of age he heard his country’s call and answered it by joining Company “H” 37th Regiment Illinois infantry, serving in Texas most of the time during the Civil war. After being mustered out of the army he returned to Illinois. On November 21, 1867 he was married to Mary A. Denton at her home near Osco, Illinois where they lived until 1880, when they moved to Hamilton county, Nebraska with their family. Here they have lived ever since, the last nineteen years being spent in Aurora. The union was blessed with six children, two dying in infancy. The surviving children are Mrs. Nettie Pringle, of Grant, Nebraska, Fred A. Barnes, of Aurora, Mrs. Pearl Smith of Aurora, Mrs. Leona Erb, of Whittier, California, also the step-daughter, Mrs. J.L. Evans, of Aurora, Nebraska. Besides the children mentioned, Mr. Barnes also leaves the wife, Mrs. Mary Barnes, as well as numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Mr. Barnes has been intensely religious all his life, his religious convictions controlling his attitude toward all public and private matters coming before his attention. He joined the Methodist church in 1867 while living in Illinois and remained a member of this denomination until the year 1915 when he joined the Aurora United Brethren church. His religious activities extended beyond the local church and he was the president of the Hamilton county Sunday school Association for many years and assisted in the organization of many Sunday schools. Declining health made it necessary to withdraw from much of this active service although he never lost interest and kept in close touch with the local work as well as the world happenings, for Mrs. Barnes was a prolific reader and was posted on general subjects as few men could boast in the community. His convictions were decided and the cause of right and truth always had a staunch supporter in him that mane many an enemy of right quall before his burning words and active service, for he lived what he believed. The church and the community have lost a royal veteran in every sense. One more of the “Boys in Blue” had gone to join the innumerable host beyond, who have welcomed him into the “House not made with hands” but his greatest joy must have been to see his Master face to face.
“The journey is over, the fight is fought
He hath seen the home of his love
And the smile on the dreamer’s face is caught
From the land of smiles above.”

Submitted by: Sarah Fitzgerald

BARNES, Mary Ann Ellis Denton

“The Aurora Republican”, Thursday October 8, 1925, Volume 53, page 1 column 4

Mrs. Barnes Passes On – Funeral Services are held at United Brethren Church Tuesday Afternoon.

A large group of sympathizing friends paid the last tribute of respect to the memory of Mrs. F. M. Barnes in attending the service held in the Aurora United Brethren church Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock. Rev H. H. Heberly was in charge of the service, assisted by Mrs. Jennie I. Starkey. The favorite text of Mrs. And Mrs. Barnes was used, which was 2 Cor. 5-1. “For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, a house not made with hands eternal in the heavens.” A mixed quartet composed of Bernce Blair, Edna Garret, Wallace Menzie and Rev. Heberly sang the special numbers requested by the family, with Mrs. C. L. Whitney at the piano. The obituary follows:

A mother in Israel has been called and heaven’s gates were wide open, as mother Barnes entered amid the welcoming shouts of the redeemed. Her dreams had become reality and her “tabernacle” had been exchanged for the “house not made with hands.” Mother Barnes was born as Mary A. Ellis in Thamesville, Ontario, on March 24, 1842 and died in Aurora, Nebraska, October 4, 1925, aged 83 years, 6 months and 10 days. She was one of eight children and came to the United States at the age of twelve years, making her home with an aunt in Geneseo, Illinois. June 12, 1860 she was married to Noah Brown Denton, of Osco, Illinois, and to their union were born two children Maria L. and Mary J. The former known to us as Mrs. Maria L. Goble, passed to her reward some years ago and the latter is Mrs. J. L. Evans of Aurora. The husband served in the Civil war and died in heroic service at Nashville, Tenn., in 1864. On November 21, 1867 she was united in marriage to Francis M. Barnes of Osco, Illinois and to their union were born six children, of whom two died in infancy. Those living are Nettie, Fred, Pearl and Leone. These are known to us today as Mrs. Nettie Pringle of Grant, Nebr., Fred Barnes and Mrs. Pearl Smith, both of Aurora, and Mrs. Leona Erb of Whittier, California. She also leaves 20 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren. In 1880 Mr. and Mrs. Barnes moved from Illinois to Hamilton county, Nebraska, taking a homestead north of Aurora, and in 1905 moved to town, where they resided until the death of the husband, October 28, 1924. Since that time Mrs. Barnes has resided with the children, who gave her every care and attention that love could think of. She became an invalid about two years ago and her days of activity were over, but the sweet graces and influences that radiated from that happy and godly home wrought more in community influence and righteousness than many out in active life. The children cannot remember that time when mother Barnes was not a Christian in the fullest sense of the word. They remember her as being first associated with the Methodist church in Osco and later transferred to the Aurora Methodist church. Ten years ago she became a member of the local United Brethren church, loved and honored by all. As a mother Mrs. Barnes exemplified all the term implied as expressed by the post in the lines. “The mother in her office hold the key of the soul, and she it is who stamps the coin of character, and makes the being who would be a savage, but for her gentle cares, a Christian man: Then crown her the queen of the world.” If there is one quality above another that has been most associated with her memory by friends and relatives alike, it is patience, and in her it found its perfect work. Her very trials and sorrows did indeed work for her patience tried and true and with patience she also waited to be translated. Word cannot express what this life has meant to the family and to all who knew her. The family has lost, the church has lost and the community has lost, but our loss is heaven’s gain.

Submitted by: Sarah Fitzgerald

BARTZ, Carolina Wilhelmine Rathnow

Mrs. William Bartz, a well-known resident of this city, passed away at 10:10 o'clock Saturday morning. Heart trouble was the cause of death, Mrs. Bartz having been in failing health for about two years, being confined to her bed for the two weeks preceding her death.

Carolina Wilhelmine Rathnow was born in Brandenberg, Germany, Sept.4, 1844, and at the time of her passing she was 77 years, 7 months and 25 days old. She came to America in 1867, coming directly to Kewanee, where she remained until her death.

Her marriage to William Bartz took place in this city, March 13. 1868. Immediately after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Bartz took up their residence on a farm in Brandenberg, four miles northeast of Kewanee, where they remained for 43 years. In 1911 they moved to 613 Pleasant street in this city, where Mr. Bartz passed away March 25 1914, and where the end came to Mrs. Bartz last Saturday morning.

To Mr. and Mrs. Bartz were born four children, a son, Louis, passing away April 14, 1915. The children who survive their parents are, William and August Bartz, and Laura, now Mrs Otto Neubert. There are also two grandchildren. Mrs August Ballew of this city is a sister, and Gustav Rathnow, living north of Kewanee, is a brother.

Mrs. Bartz was a charter member if the Brandenberg church, and she was also a member of the Ladies' Aid Society of the church. She was an active worker in the church as long as her health permitted, She was a kind and loving mother, a good neighbor and a fine Christian woman.

The funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon, At 1:30 o'clock a short service will be held at the residence, 613 Pleasant street, and at 2 o'clock another service will be held in the Brandenderg church. The Rev. Mr. Arlt will be in charge, and burial will be in Brandenberg cemetery.

Source: Kewanee Daily Star, (Henry Co., Il.,) Mon. May 1st 1922 p.4

Contributed by Pinky Davis

BATES, Dewey M.

KEWANEE -- Dewey M. Bates, 81, of Kewanee died at 8:20 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, 1999, at Oakwood Health Care Center.

Born Dec. 5, 1917, in Kewanee to Edwin T. and Nellie F. Swearingen Bates, he married Mary E. Sweet on June 13, 1943, in Woodstock. She died Jan. 7, 1999. Two infant brothers and one infant sister also preceded her (sic) in death.

Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. George (Peggy) Brody of Kewanee; one son, Lloyd of Bloomington; two brothers, Elwyn "Bud" and Don, both of Galva; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Schueneman-Tumbleson Funeral Home. The Revs. Robert Foulk and Dale Kooi will officiate. Visitation will be two hours before services at the funeral home. Burial will be in Pleasant View Cemetery. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church in Kewanee.

Source: Peoria Journal Star, 22 Feb 1999

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

KEWANEE--Dewey M. Bates, 81, of Kewanee, died at 8:20 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, 1999, at Oakwood Health Care Center, Kewanee. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 23 at Schueneman-Tumbleson Funeral Home, Kewanee, the Revs. Robert Foulk and Dale Kooi officiating. Visitation will be from noon until time of services Tuesday. Burial will be in Pleasant View Cemetery, Kewanee. Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church of Kewanee.

Mr. Bates was born Dec. 5, 1917, in Kewanee, the son of Edwin T. and Nellie F. (Swearingen) Bates. He married Mary E. Sweet on June 13, 1943, in Woodstock, Ill. She preceded him in death on Jan. 7, 1999. He was also preceded in death by two brothers and a sister, all in infancy.

Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. George (Peggy) Brody of Kewanee; a son Lloyd Bates of Bloomington; four grandchildren, Tim (rene) Brody, Steve (Sue) Brody, Dan (Colene) Verdick and Trisha Bates; five great-grandchildren, Sarah, Samantha, Rachel, Rhaelynn, and Hannah; and two brothers, Elwyn "Bud" (Evelyn) Bates and Don (Marian) Bates, both of Galva.

Mr. Bates attended the Jacksonville, Ill., School for the Deaf.

Source: Kewanee Star Courier, Monday 22 Feb 1999

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

BATES, Edwin T.

KEWANEE _ Edwin T. Bates, 99, of Oakwood Health Care Center, formerly of 321 Helmer, died Thursday, Dec. 26, 1991, at the center.

Born Aug. 11, 1892, in Kewanee to James and Jennie Lamb Bates, he married Nellie Feryl Swearingen on Jan. 16, 1915, in Kewanee. She died in 1957. He also was preceded in death by three infant children, three sisters and one brother. Surviving are three sons, Elwyn "Bud" and Donald, both of Galva, and Dewey of Kewanee; 12 grandchildren; 21 great- grandchildren; and one great- great-grandchild.

He worked for National Tube Co. in Kewanee and later farmed in the Sheffield area and in rural Henry County. He then worked at Meadow Gold Dairy in Kewanee. He was a member of First United Methodist Church of Sheffield.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Cavanagh & Schueneman Funeral Home, Kewanee, the Rev. K. Belmont Metzger officiating. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery. Memorials may be made to any charity.

Source: Peoria Journal Star, 27 Dec1991 pB3

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

Edwin T. Bates, 99, of Oakwood Health Care Center, formerly of 321 Helmer, died Thursday, Dec. 26, 1991, at his residence.

Born Aug. 11, 1892, in Kewanee, to James and Jennie (Lamb) Bates, he married Nellie Feryl Swearingen Jan. 16, 1915, in Kewanee. She died June 15, 1957. He was also preceded in death by three infant children, three sisters and one brother.

He hauled coal and at the age of 20 hauled all the pipe to the old Midland Country Club. He later worked for National Tube Co., Kewanee, and farmed in Burns Township, rural Kewanee and rural Sheffield areas. He also worked for Meadow Gold Dairy, Kewanee.

He was a member of the First United Methodist Church of Sheffield, and was an avid fisherman.

Surviving are three sons, Dewey of Kewanee, and Elwyn "Bud" and Donald, both of Galva; 12 grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Cavanagh and Schueneman Funeral Home, Kewanee, with the Rev. K. Belmont Metzger officiating . Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Evergreen Memory Gardens, Kewanee. Memorials may be made to the charity of the donor's choice.

Source: Kewanee Star Courier, Friday, December 27, 1991 p A3

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

Services for Edwin T. Bates, 99, of Oakwood Health Care Center, formerly of 321 Helmer, were at 1 p.m. Monday at Cavanagh and Schueneman Funeral Home, Kewanee, The Rev. K. Belmont Metzger officiated. Organist was Lauren Lindstrom. Burial was in Evergreen Memory Gardens, Kewanee.

Last Paragraph unreadable.

Source: Kewanee Star Courier, 07 Jan 1992

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

BATES, Mary E. Sweet

KEWANEE -- Mary E. Bates, 80, of Kewanee died at 10:37 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 7, 1999, at Oakwood Health Care Center.

Born Dec. 15, 1918, in Harvard to Sanford and Georgia Gallup Sweet, she married Dewey M. Bates on June 13, 1943, in Woodstock. He survives. Also surviving are one daughter, Mrs. George (Peggy) Brody of Kewanee; one son, Lloyd of Bloomington; six sisters, Sylvia Dipirro of Marengo, Nellie Smith and Hazel Church, both of Woodstock, Ollie Shambarger and Gerri Glass, both of Benton Harbor, Mich., and Leona Bracher of Missouri; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. Three brothers and two sisters preceded her in death.

She was educated at Jacksonville School for the Deaf.

Services will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at Schueneman-Tumbleson Funeral Home. The Revs. Robert Foulk and Dale Kooi will officiate. Visitation will be from noon to 1:30 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Pleasant View Cemetery. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, Kewanee.

Source: Peoria Journal Star, January 09, 1999

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

KEWANEE--Mary E. Bates, 80, of Kewanee, died at 10:37 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 7, 1999, at Oakwood Health Care Center, Kewanee. Funeral services were today at Schueneman-Tumbleson Funeral Home, Kewanee, the Revs. Robert Foulk and Dale Kooi officiating. Visitation was from noon until time of services at the funeral home. Burial was in Pleasant View Cemetery, Kewanee. Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church of Kewanee.

Mrs. Bates was born Dec. 15, 1918, in Harvard, Ill., the daughter of Sanford and Georgia (Gallup) Sweet. She was educated at the Jacksonville, Ill., School for the Deaf. She married Dewey M. Bates June 13, 1943, in Woodstock, Ill.

He survives, as do a daughter, Mrs. George (Peggy) Brody of Kewanee; a son, Lloyd Bates of Bloomington; four grandchildren, Tim, Steve, Dan and Trisha; five great-grandchildren, Sarah, Samantha, Racheal, Rhaelynn and Hannah; and six sisters, Sylvia Dipirro of Marengo, Nellie Smith and Hazel Church, both of Woodstock, Ollie Shambarger and Gerri Glass, both of Benton Harbor, Mich., and Leona Bracher of Missouri. She was preceded in death by three brothers and two sisters.

Source: Kewanee Star Courier, Monday, January 11,1999

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

BAYSINGAR, Janice C. Bates

Janice C. Baysingar, 40, of 680 Home Blvd. died at 11:40 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 10, 2000, at her residence.

She was born May 4, 1959, in Kewanee to Donald and Marian Yarger Bates.

Surviving are her parents of Galva; one son, Levi of Altona; one daughter, Tawney Bates of Washington; four brothers, Donald Bates of Cambridge, Leslie Bates and Gary Bates, both of Galva, and James Bates of Alabama; and one sister, Eileen Neuhalfen of Washington.

Cremation will be accorded. There will be no services. Watson Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Source: Peoria Journal Star, February 12, 2000 p B-4

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

BECK, Anton

Mr. Anton Beck, aged nearly 62 years, died at Webster City, Iowa, Thursday, June 6th, 1895, of apoplexy. He had been in failing health since the death of his wife nearly three years ago, and in January last he gave up his position as cutter in Schnabele's tailoring department, where he has been employed for 29 years.

Deceased was a native of Germany where he learned his trade and when he first came to Geneseo he was considered one of the best workmen in his line in Illinois. He was a steady, reliable man and leaves many warm friends in Geneseo.

He leaves a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters, Frank, residing at Spring Valley, Emil, Robert, Josephine, Minnie, and Bertha, of Webster City, Iowa, Mrs. Otis Ogden and Philip, of Geneseo.

Deceased was a liberal supporter of the Evangelical church. His remains were brought to Geneseo last Saturday and funeral services held at Grace church by Rev. H. Moser, the pastor. He was laid to rest beside his wife in Oakwood. The children were all present at the funeral.

Source: Geneseo Republic, June 14, 1895

Submitted by: Jennifer Paul

BECK, Carl Filip

Carl Philip (sic) Beck, 76, resident of 1102 W. Division St. died at Kewanee Public hospital at 6 p.m. Sunday 1944. He had been ill for the past two years and a patient in the hospital two days.

Born in Varmland,Sweden, December 24, 1867, Mr. Beck came to the United States in 1888. He lived in Kansas, Mo. for two years, then moved to Canton, Ill and later to Chicago. His marriage to Hannah Anderson was solemnized in Chicago on Aug 12, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Beck observed their 50th wedding anniversary last August with a family dinner.

The family home has been in Kewanee since 1900. A coal miner, Mr. Beck retired from his work three years ago.

Surviving with the wife are one daughter, Ellen, now Mrs. Ira Stanley, of Kewanee, and one granddaughter, Lois Stanley also of Kewanee. His parents and a brother, Erick, the latter of whom died in Sweden last December preceded Mr. Beck in death.

Funeral services will be held at the Seifert and Smith funeral home at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. Rev. Reinold G. Peterson, pastor of the Zion Lutheran church will officiate. Burial will be in Pleasant View cemetery.

Friends will be received at the funeral home Tuesday evening.

Source: Kewanee Star Courier

Contributed by Janice Mercer

BECK, Hannah Anderson

Hannah Beck, 87, dies

Mrs. Hanna Beck, 87, died today at the home of her daughter Mrs. Ira Stanley, 1047 North Main Street.

The funeral will be held at 2:30 p.m. Monday at Seifert and Smith funeral home. Rev. Robert Edlen, pastor of the Zion Lutheran Church, will officiate. Burial will be in South Pleasant View cemetery. Friends may call atthe funeral home Sunday evening.

The former Hanna Anderson was born in Karlskoga, Varmland, Sweden, April 30, 1866 and came to the United States at the age of 18 years. She had lived her for 55 years. In August of 1893 she married Philip Beck, who died in 1944. Mrs. Beck was a member of the Zion Lutheran church.

She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Stanley, Kewanee; a granddaughter, Mrs. Lois Hampton, Kewanee; two great granddaughters; two sister, Miss Ellen Anderson, Los Angeles, Calif. a sister in Sweden and a brother, Gust Anderson of Kansas City, Mo.

She was preceded in death by her husband, four sisters and two brothers.

Source: Kewanee Star Courier

Contributed by Janice Mercer

BENEDICT, Elizabeth Tucker

Beautiful tribute to the life of Mrs. M.R. Benedict, formerly Miss Elizabeth Tucker of this city, who died in Cambridge, Mass., Saturday, was paid by the Rev. Wilfred Noble, pastor of the First Baptist church, in an impressive service at Erickson & McHugh's funeral home Wednesday afternoon.

Taking his text from the Book of Ruth, the pastor related the story of Ruth and Naomi, likening the fine Christian life of the deceased to that of Ruth, filled with service for humnity. It was a splendid service filled with hope and comfort.

Beautiful song selections were rendered by Mrs. William Arnold and Mrs. Betty Cosner, with Mrs. Arnold accompanying.

The bearers were: Joe Saunders, Earl G. Taylor, John McCarthy, C.R. Ketridge, Harry Mitton, Leslie Good. Burial was in Pleasant View Cemetery.

Source: Kewanne Star-Courier, 15 May 1930

Contributed by Susie Martin-Rott

[Mr. and Mrs. Murray R. Benedict were residing in Cambridge, Mass. while Mr. Benedict completed his doctorate degree at the university there. Elizabeth was daughter of James & Martha Martin Tucker, born in Kewanee in 1890]

BEYER, Rose Elizabeth Allard Marks

Rose Elizabeth Beyer, 87, of 224 E. College St. died at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 22, 1995, at the home of her daughter in Kewanee.

Born Aug. 23, 1908, in Kewanee to John and Ethel Jones Allard, she was later adopted by her grandparents Jim and Roseanna Marks. She married Edward E. Beyer on Oct. 8, 1933, in Kewanee. He preceded her in death, as did one infant son. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. William (Janet) Banuat of Mableton, Ga., and Mrs. Frank (Patricia) Nyert Jr. of Kewanee, with whom she made her home; six grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

She and her husband owned and operated Royal Cab Co. for many years. She was a member of St. Peter's Evangelical United Church of Christ in Kewanee and its Women's Guild.

Cremation will be accorded. Graveside services will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Pleasant View Cemetery. The Rev. David Poe will officiate. Rux Funeral Home in Kewanee is in charge of arrangements. Memorials may be made to her church.

Source: Peoria Journal Star, November 26, 1995 p C15

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

BINGE, Charles H.

Charles H. Binge, 69 who had farmed many years in the Galva community until his retirement in 1956, died December 17 in the Galesburg Cottage Hospital, where he had been a patient for 3 days.

One of 5 children of Joseph and Mary (Sandee) Binge, he was born on a farm near Galva March 5 1890 and attended rural school. His marriage to Frances Spets took place May 2, 1936, in Galesburg. When they retired from the farm they purchased the home at 11 South East First Street.

In addition to Mrs. Binge ,he is survived by four daughters Mrs. Eula Mikkelsen of Chicago; Mrs Marian Pierson of Mendota; Mrs. Anna Mae Ernst of Galesburg; and Mrs. Mary Jeanette Myler, 10 grandchildren and two step-children Raymond Spets of Galesburg; and Dennis Spets of Detroit, one brother Howard of Altona; and three sisters Mrs Maud Marks, and Mrs Carrie Growth of Milwaukee,and Mrs Jennie Paice of Kewanee.

Services December 19 at the Johnson & Gill Chapell were in charge of Rev. P. Dees, of Bishop Hill and Grace Methodist Churches, organ selections by Verna B. Anderson.

Internment was in the Bishop Hill Cemetery, with the following bearers; Rias Spets, Dwren Johnson, Leland P. Johnson, Arther Anderson, H.A. Clausen and Clyde Alderman.

Source: Galvaland, February (edition) 1960

Contributed by Sue Voller

(footnote): Charles was also survived by his first wife Amy Hazel (Collinson) Binge, Thrasher mother to his children and Grandmother to his 10 grandchildren, of Galesburg. They seemed to have left this little bit of info out.

BIRCH, Margaret

BIRCH.--Margaret Birch was born September 11th, 1803 at Abardare, Glamorganshire, Wales. Joined the Church in 1846. United with the Reorganization in May, 1879. Died at Kewanee, Illinois, February 2d, 1881, aged 72 years. Funeral sermon by J. S. Patterson.

Source: Saints Herald, Lamoni Iowa, 1881. Vol 28:260

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

[NOTE: I am not related to this person; the obit was on the same page as one of my relatives. I have no other information. Clearly she was a member of the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints (RLDS) in Kewanee as her obit is from the RLDS paper and Mr. Patterson was pastor of that church.]

BLANCHARD, Rhoda Stanley


We carried a story about six weeks ago regarding Mrs. Rhoda Blanchard being taken to St. Joseph hospital with diabetes. At that time it was thought she would revive sufficiently to be moved to her home in Gardena, California, but this hope did not materialize, and she remained in the hospital until Sunday last when she passed away.

The remains were taken to her California home. Her brother, Sim Stanley of Lamoni, another brother, Mark Stanley of Andover and a sister, Mrs. Wm. Hutton of Blythedale were with her when she died.

Mrs. Blanchard leaves four children: William R. Blanchard, Alpha, Canada, Roy Blanchard, Moneta, Cal., Mrs. Maud Walters, Stroubville, North Dakota; and Mrs. Mino Christopher, Gardena, Cal. She came to Lamoni last [______] to care for her aged mother and has been ill ever since.

Source & Date not known, believed to be from Lamoni IA newspaper, died in 1928

Contributed by Susie Martin-Rott


Mrs. Rhoda Blanchard, Sixty-Two Years Old

Had Been Away From California On A Trip to Middle West

Mrs. Rhoda Blanchard, sixity-two years old, wife of Morris Blanchard of Gardena, Cal., died at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon at a St. Joseph hospital. She was visiting in Lamoni, Iowa and St. Joseph and had been ill six weeks.

Besides her husband she is survived by two sons and two daughters. They are William B. Blanchard, Alpha, Canada, Roy Blanchard, Moneta Cal., Mrs. Maude Walters, Stroubville, N.D. and Mrs. Mino Christopher, Gardena.

The body is at Fleeman-Faris and will be taken to Gardena for burial.

Date and newspaper not known, believed to be from a 1928 Lamoni Iowa paper

Contributed by Susie Martin-Rott

[Note: Rhoda Stanley Blanchard came from England first to Kewanee IL with her family. She married Wellman Blanchard in Feb 1878 in Kewanee, and was later married to his brother Wellman Blanchard (abt 1884)]


Grandson of Mrs. Lottie Steiner, Killed at Iwo Jima

Word was received by relatives that another Davenporter, Pfc. Harry E. "Bud" Blankenfeld, 27, U.S. marine corps reserve, was killed at Iwo Jima. He was a grandson of Mrs. Lottie Steiner of Atkinson, and was well known by many of this community.

Pfc. Blankenfeld, whose wife, Nelda and daughter, Darcia Dawn, reside with Mr. And Mrs. Ferd J. Gathje, 1323 Fair Avenue, was killed in action on March 9, according to the message his wife and mother received on April 13.

Pfc. Blandenfeld, who was born in Geneseo, Ill, June 18, 1917, entered the marines in October, 1943. He took his training at Camp Pendleton, Calif., and went overseas last August, going first to Hawaii.

Besides his wife and daughter, he is survived by his mother, Mrs. Lydia Blankenfeld, of Davenport, his father E. J. Blankenfeld of Denver, and three sisters, Mrs. R. J. Fox, Mrs. Ramona Thomas, and Miss Betty Jane Blankenfeld, all of Davenport.

Prior to entering the service he was employed by the Bettendorf Tank Co., and Zoller Brewing Companys of Davenport.

Contributed by Sue Williams

BOETGER, Oral "Poppy" Papenthien

Oral “Poppy” Boetger, 98, died Sunday, June 1, 2003, in San Mateo, Calif. Funeral services were held Monday, June 9, at Sneider and Sullivan Funeral Home. Burial was in Skylawn Memorial Park, San Mateo.

Oral Boetger was born Aug. 21, 1904 in Geneseo, the youngest daughter of John and Eva Papenthien. She graduated from Geneseo Township High School in 1923.

She was a professional opera singer and had her own radio show in the 1920s. She was also a legal secretary for 15 years in Davenport, Iowa. She married William Boetger in 1932 before moving to California in 1942.

Mrs. Boetger was an avid golfer, loved dancing, playing bridge, arts and crafts. She was a member of South San Mateo Women’s Club for 57 years and Hillsdale Methodist Church.

Survivors include a daughter, Janet Kay Lyons; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. She was a special aunt of Virginia and Howard Stenzel of Osco and their family and had many cousins in the area. She was preceded in death by her husband and a daughter, Venita Olson.

Contributed by Sue Williams

BOSWELL, Patience

At Kewanee, Ill., May 16, 1866, Patience Boswell, Daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann Boswell, aged 13 days.

Source: Saints Herald, Lamoni Iowa, 1866. Vol 10:159

Submitted by: Susie Martin-Rott

[Note: I am not related to this party and have no further information other than that this family belonged to the RLDS church in Kewanee.]

BRYNER, Mason M.

Mr. Mason M. Bryner, 87, of 18 W. Esther St., died Thursday. He was a retired steel mill worker and moved to Orlando in 1942 from Lorain, Ohio. He was a native of Kewanee, Ill.

Surviving are widow, Elsie M., Orlando; sons, Clarence, William and Mason Bryner, all of Amhurst, Ohio; James and Dwight Bryner, both of Lorain; daughters, Mrs. Opal Hambley, Orlando and Mrs. Lillian Campbell, Lockhart; brother Earl Bryner, and sisters, Mrs. Effie Nicholson and Mrs. Della Hendricks, all of Kewanee; stepdaughters, Mrs. Ina Mae Louis, Orlando, and Mrs. Mary Metz, Buffalo, NY.; 15 grandchildren and 50 great-grandchildren.

Hawthorne Funeral home is in charge.

SOURCE: Orlando Sentinal Star, Orlando FL DATE: 23 Sep 1966

SUBMITTER: Susie Martin-Rott

[NOTE: Elsie was his second wife. His first wife, Annie M. Woodward, was my grandmother's sister. All his children were with Annie. The stepchildren were Elsie's from a previous marriage.

BUCK, Edmund

Died at His Residence in Cambridge, Ill., Saturday Evening, Feb 13th, 1886, Mr. Edmund Buck, In the 61st Year of His Age. Funeral Monday Afternoon.

For the third time within a few weeks our citizens have been called to stand beside the blee of one of their fellowmen, and as many times have taken the last look upon the faces of one who had long been identified with the history and progress of the county. It is our duty this week to record the death of a man who, apparently but a few days ago , was destined yet to enjoy several years more of a useful life, but who was suddenly stricken, while but in the prime of life--for he lacked many years of completing his three score and ten.

Mr. Buck attended the funeral of Mrs. Howell at Woodhall on the 1st, and that of Mr. King at this place on the 2d, paying his last and tribute of respect to them, unconscious that he would so soon follow them to that house not built with hands, eternal in the Heavens. On the evening of the 2d inst., he complained of pain in his head, which caused him much suffering, and which continued with little change for better or worse, until last Thursday, when he became unconscious. Uo to this time his condition was not considered serious, but he did not regain consciousness, and on Saturday evening at eleven o'clock , death relieved his suffering .

The funeral services were held in the Congregational church last Monday afternoon at two o'clock, the Rev. J.B.Bidwell delivering the sermon. Large as the capacity of the church, it could not comfortably accomodate the people who desired admittance. The remains were interred in the cemetery south of town.

Deceased was born in East Killengly, Conn., Dec 25th, 1825, and came to this county in 1837. He went to California in the spring of 1849, and remained there four years. He was married Jan.31, 1855, to Miss Mariette Woolsey, who survives him with four children--Mrs. John Schoettler, Calvin M., E.W. and Jessie. He lived on his farm in Andover until a few years ago, when he moved to this place, having previously purchased the handsome residence in the west part of town, occupied by the family at the time of his death.

In the death of Mr. Buck the county and Cambridge in particular, loses one of its best citizens, and one who always had the welfare of the community at heart. He also took a leading part in all of the great moral movements of his time, and was consequently a strong abolitionist, an ardent supporter of temperence legislation, an earnest believer in the efficacy of woman suffrage, and an active promoter of Sunday school work. While holding very pronounced opinions on all subjects of importance, he was very charitable toward others whose ideas may have conflicted with his. He had always been a republican, and while also in favor of prohibition, he stood by the party of his choice to the last. He was a very religious man, earnest and sincere, and will be greatly missed by the congregation with whom he had so long affiliated. He was honest and upright in all of his transactions, and had a host of friends in all parts of the county. In life he was respected by the business men of this place, and in death was kindly remembered by nearly all of them being present at his funeral.

Mr. Edmund Buck, the subject of this notice was born in Windham county, Conn. in 1826;and came with his parents to Henry county, when but 11 years old, settling near Andover. When only 12 years old he united with the church and for the remainder of his life, nearly forty years, he remained faithful to his early vows. In his young manhood he returned to New England on a visit in '47, just at the outbreak of the excitement of the discovery of gold in California. Mr. Buck had that happy mixture of strength and courage which constitutes true New England pluck, and joining himself to a party who contemplated going thither, they bought a vessel and sailed on the long voyage around Cape Horn, for the new Eldorado of the West. After a time he was joined in Sacramento by two of his brothers, who hearing of his destination , undertook the equally perilous journey across the plains. For four years he mongled in the busy and adventurous life of that region, returning at the end of that time, with his brothers, to the home in Henry Co.

There on the 31st of Jan.,1855 he was married to Miss Marietta Woolsey. Four children have been born to this estimable couple, all of whom are living. Lide, now Mrs. John Schoettler, living here; the eldest son, familiarly known as Callie who lives upon , and has charge of the farm; the younger son Edmund, employed in a mercantile house in Kewanee; and the little daughter Jessie, a child at home. Aside from his own immediate family the only near relative was Mr. Buck's brother George, who was his companion in California , and came from his home in Kansas, to be present at his funeral services. having by industry and frugality obtained a competence, Mr. Buck about four years ago bought a pleasant home in town and removed here, designing to retire from active labors and enjoy in the evening of life, the rest of his busy noonday had so well earned.

From his home here he passed to that better country, after an illness of about 10 days, in which he had suffered much from inflamation of the ear, and neuralgic pains in the head, although he was not considered dangerously sick until near the close. His funeral sermon was preached on the 15th at the Congregational church by the Pastor Rev. Bidwell from the words "They rest from their labors and their works do follow them." and the large audience which assembled to pay this last sign of respect testified to high esteem in which he was held by his friends and neighbors, and the public generosity....

Source Not give Feb 13, 1886

Contributed by: Jim Beauchamp

BYLANDER, Johannes

The message of death came as a relief from suffering of infirmities and old age to the venerate old settler and citizen, John Bylander, Friday morning, April 23, 1909, at the age of 83 yrs, 1 month and 8 days.

He was born in Byrum Parish, Jonkopins Lan, Sweden, March 14th, 1826, and emigrated with his wife and children arriving in Andover in the spring of 1868. His wife died in 1871*. Ten children were born to them during their union, two of whom died in infancy, and Augusta, wife of Rev. J. S. Ryding, died after mature age. Those surviving and who were all present at the funeral are: Mrs Hannah Ahlstrand of Red Oak, Iowa; Justine, wife of John S. Swanson of Andover; Luther Bylander of Chicago; Mrs Emma Robinson of Peoria; Louise of Chicago; Amanda, wife of John A. Isaacson of Woodhull; Mrs Ellen Foss* of St Louis.

He was remarried in 1882 to Mrs Marie Anderson and became step-father to Mrs John Isaacson of Moline, John and Oscar Anderson of Andover and Axel of Pasadena, California, who with fifteen grandchildren mourn his passing away.

Mr Bylander was a man of strong religious convictions and spotless character, and his home was a home where Christian love was its sunshine and in these ways, children and friends enjoyed blessed sociality. He was for many years a deacon in the Lutheran church, whose counsel was always respected and sought in the business affairs of the church, and in the community he enjoyed respect and veneration as few men.

The funeral was held from the residence and Lutheran church, Monday afternoon, April 26th. Rev. Carl P. Edbloom conducted the services and officiated at the grave.

The last sad rites of Fater Bylander were made pleasant to the bereaved by the many manifestations in loving deeds of Christian enthusiasm displayed by the neighbors and friends far and near before and after the sacred services. Loving peace be to his memory."

Source: Not known (found in a box of family photographs)

Contributed by: Carol Isaacson Adams

[Notes: * 1871 was struck out and replaced with the date 1872, *Foss should have been spelled Voss]