Ellen Ring Welch
Submitted by Nadine Holder
Courtesy of William Wright:
Ellen Ring WELCH
Mrs. Ellen Ring Welch was born in Ottisville, New York, June 2, 1846. Her mother dying and leaving her in infancy
she came with her uncle and aunt to Muscatine, Iowa in the year 1855, later coming to Mercer County where she resided until the time of her death.
On June 23, 1861, she was united in marriage to John Welch, who preceded her in death a little over ten years ago. To this union nine children were born, six boys and three girls, one daughter, Mrs. Kate Jones, preceding her mother to the other shore, having died in 1904. Those still living are: John, William and James of New Boston Township, Thomas of Belknap,
Iowa, Mrs. Nellie Thornhill of Thoma, Washington, Edward of Joy, Illinois, Mrs. Mary Retherford of New Boston township and Charles L. of New Boston. Besides these children who survive their mother she leaves one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Powers, of Muscatine, Iowa and fourteen grandchildren; she also leaves a host of sorrowing friends who will always cherish her memory with tender affection.
Mrs. Welch was a life long member of the Catholic church and retained the love for the church of her early choice until death and was a faithful witness for her Master and ever loyal to Him. She was a woman who loved her home and family and would always think of them and their needs, forgetful of her own. She passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lonnie Retherford after a brief illness of pneumonia, at 11:30 p.m. Saturday, April 3,1909, aged 62 years, 10 months and 1 day. The children were all present at the bedside of their mother except Mrs. Nellie Thornhill who was not able to come on account of sickness. All was done that loving hands could do but the angel of death released her from pain and returned to the heavenly home with one more redeemed soul to serve God there. The funeral was held from the Catholic church in Keithsburg Tuesday morning, April 6, 1909, at 10:30 o'clock, her six sons serving as pall bearers. Interment was in the Catholic cemetery.