Submitted by Chris Dixon August 29, 1998
"Past and Present of Mercer County" Vol. II 1914 - pg. pg. 468-70
William H. Dixon was born in Canal Dover, Ohio, on thc 20th of July, 1831, a son of Rev. Jacob and Mary (Hall) Dixon, both of whom were natives of Virginia, the former born on the 20th of May, 1793. The father was a Methodist minister and something of his determination may be appreciated when one knows that he acquired much of his education by study in the evenings by the firelight. This quality of spirit which he manifested as a boy in Washington county, Ohio, whither he had gone, was an influential factor in bringing him success in the later years of his life. His wife was a daughter of the Rev. Eskridge Hall. The subject of this review was as cousin of the Hon. Isaac N. Bassett, author of the historical volume of this work.
William H. Dixon was reared and educated in Ohio and when a young man of twenty came to New Boston, arriving here in October, 1851. He established a tailor shop which he conducted for the rest of his life. The work which he did was thoroughly satisfactory and his customers were among the best people of the town. He not only prospered in a business way, but won the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens.
Mr. Dixon married Miss Mary Jeannette Beach, whose birth occurred near New Haven, Connecticut, May 28, 1838. Her parents were Hubbard and Hannah (Stannard) Beach, the former a native of Connecticut and the latter of Massachusetts. Her maternal grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution and her father served in the War of 1812. The latter came to New Boston in 1846, when his daughter Mary was about eight years of age. They drove through from Chicago and Mrs. Dixon can still remember some of the incidents of the journey. Mr. Beach followed his trade, which was that of a house painter, until 1849, when he returned east, as the family was greatly desirous of once-more seeing familiar places. In 1852 he received land warrants in return for his service in the War of 1812, and came again to this county, taking up his land here. He passed away October 7, 1855, but his widow survived him for several years, her death occurring on the 3d of February, 1864. They were both members of the Baptist church and much interested in its progress. Mrs. Dixon has made this county her home for over half a century and has witnessed changes in that length of time which would seem incredible if they were not so familiar to us. Not only has she seen the transformation which has taken place but she has bravely done her share in bringing it about. Four sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Dixon, as follows: Clarence E., who passed away on the 28th of May, 1894; F.C., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work; Sharon A., who is engaged in the livery business here; and Fred B., a traveling salesman with headquarters in Peoria, Illinois.
Mrs. Dixon belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and has the distinction of being the oldest member of the congregation. She was for many years a teacher in the Sunday school and is now president of the Ladies' Aid Society. Mr. Dixon always voted the republican ticket and was much interested in all that pertains to the public welfare. Although he kept himself well informed on all questions, he never desired public office. He was a member of the Methodist Church, giving, loyal support to that organization, and also held membership in the Masonic order and had many friends in that body. He always found his greatest enjoyment in his home and exemplified in his life the virtues of honesty, kindness and watchful care over his own.