Harriett Sophia Smith
Harriett Sophia (Smith) Wood was born in Erie County, New York February 14, 1824, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lena Harris, at 3 o'clock, Sunday morning, September 25, 1904, aged 80 years, 7 months and 11 days. In the year 1842, she, with her parents, came to this state, where, on March 27, 1844, she was united in marriage to Walter Ainsworth Wood and to this union were born twelve children, seven of whom survive her. They are: H.E. Wood and E.B. Wood of Viola; Mrs. Sophronia Guinty, of Peabody, Kansas, Mrs. Lois Boyles, Mrs. Lena Harris and C.A. Wood of Perryton Township. Those dead are Leonora, Julia, Frank and Willie who died in infancy, and Rev. Walter L. Wood who died in Mica, Washington. October 16, 1899. She has also left with the bereft children to mourn her loss, one sister, Mrs. Sarah Ann Doack, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, and two half-sisters, Mrs. Adelia Gingles, of Rock Island, Illinois, and Mrs. Lavanche Knox, of La Cross, Wisconsin, and 39 grand-children and 22 great grand-children. Mrs. Wood lived with her husband in Perryton Township for many years but retiring from the farm they moved to Aledo where she resided until her husband's death which occurred March 16, 1894, after which she came back to the old homestead where she made her home with her son, Charles, and at the time of her death she was making a visit with her daughter, Mrs. Lena Harris, where she was suddenly taken ill and died after an illness of two days' duration. The deceased was a kind and loving mother always taking great pride in her family. She was kind to all her friends, ever ready to lend a helping hand to all in sickness and need. She was a consistent Christian from childhood. She was a member of the Aledo M.E. church at the time of her death. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. Tidball, of the Hamlet Presbyterian church, assisted by Rev. Saunders of the Reynolds Baptist church. After short services at the home the remains were taken to the Enon Baptist church where the services were held. A choir composed of Mr. and Mrs. Frank McHard and Mrs. Lila Foote and Ada Van Meter and William McHard, who rendered some very beautiful hymns. Miss Bessie Lemon presided at the organ. After the services at the church the remains were taken to the "Corn's cemetery," where they were laid to rest beside those of her husband to await the resurrection morn. The pall bearers were six of her grandsons who carefully carried the casket which contained the remains of our beloved mother to their final resting place. They were Messrs. Tho. Harris, Fred Brown, Clyde Wood, Erbie Wood, Willis Wood and Birdic Boyles. The floral tributes were many and beautiful.
Dear mother thou hast gone;
Thy voice we loved is still;
Thy place is vacant in our home;
and never can be filled.
Beneath the shades of twilight,
In the narrow casket bed,
We gently laid our mother,
To sleep among the dead.
She is now where she longed to be,
Then let us forbear to complain
That she has gone from our sight,
We all behold her again.
- Source and date unknown