George W. Eaton
George W. Eaton, 83, and for more than fifty years a resident of Stephenson County, died at 10:40 o'clock last night at his home, 833 South Liberty Avenue. He had been ailing for several years and had been confined to the house for a year past. The immediate cause of death was a heart attack suffered about an hour before he passed away.
Mr. Eaton was born in Lock Haven, PA June 15, 1853. He was united in marriage, Feb. 21, 1878 with Anna Gertrude Sample, of Bellefonte, PA and some years afterward Mr. and Mrs. Eaton came west to Orangeville, where they resided until 1904. They then located in Freeport, Mr. Eaton having purchased the John Erfert grocery store on East Stephenson Street. Later he operated the Third ward grocery store on East Iroquois Street, but retired from business about nine years ago on account of ill health.
Mr. Eaton was a member of the Masonic lodge at Orangeville and while he lived in that village worshipped at the Reformed Church. He was identified for many years with the county Democratic organization serving as precinct committeeman.
Mr. Eaton was a man of genial disposition, devoted to his family and esteemed by everyone who knew him. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the family home. Rev. Gerson S. Engelmann of First English Reformed Church, officiating. Interment will be made in Oakland Cemetery.
Freeport Nov. 13, 1936. Submitted by: Carla on 27 Sep 2002