Carl G. Herget, manufacturer and banker, Pekin, Ill., was born in the city where he now resides, August 30, 1865, and is the son of John and Ernestine (Schreck) Herget (see sketch of John Herget in this history). He was educated in the common and high schools of his native place and, for three years, followed the occuption of a clerk with a view to fitting himself for the wholesale grocery trade. He then entered the employ of J. & G. Herget, wholesale grocers and liquor dealers, his father, John Herget, being the senior member of the firm. After continuing with the firm for some time, he went to old Mexico to look after some extensive mining interests belonging to his father.
After remaining three years in Mexico and disposing of his father’s interests, Mr. Herget returned to Pekin in 1889, and was employed by the Star Distilling Company, operated by J. & G. Herget, remaining with them until 1892, when they sold out and during the same year built the plant of the Globe Distilling Company. Carl G. retained his connection with this concern until it was sold to the Standard Distilling and Distributing Company in 1898. Since then he has been the manager of the Globe Distilling Company’s works, operating them for the Standard Distilling and Distributing Company.
Mr. Herget is also a director of the Farmers’ National Bank of Pekin, of the Turner-Hudnut Company, The American Brewing Company, and the Pekin Stave and Manufacturing Company, and owns an interest in the Globe Cattle Company. He is a large land owner in Mason, Menard, and Madison counties, Ill. He is also a Trustee of the Pekin Library and of the Pekin Cemetery Association, and ex-President of the Tazewell Club, of which he is a director at the present time (1905).
In politics Mr. Herget is a Republican, but has never held a public office, and is not an office-seeker. Fraternally, he is associated with the Masonic Order as a Mystic Shriner and a Knight Templar. On October 12, 1904, he was married to Miss Olga J. Commentz. of Appleton, Wis., and now resides at 800 East Washington Street.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1018
Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 107 of 603)