GEORGE A. LATHAM
George A. Latham was born in Malone Township, Tazewell County. Ill., June 2, 1858, and obtained his education in the public schools. After reaching manhood he located on a farm three miles west of Green Valley, but later moved to Manito, Mason County, buying another farm near that place. This he finally disposed of in 1891, and purchased another farm on Section 22, consisting of 160 acres, and here he now resides. He has erected good, substantial buildings and out-houses, and is very pleasantly situated. Mr. Latham is a Methodist in religious faith and politically independent, voting for the man he thinks most worthy of public trust. Fraternally he is a member of the Royal Neighbors and the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Latham was united in marriage. March 30, 1882, at Green Valley, to Miss Nora Leister (adopted), and they have ten children, as follows: Alva E., Bell L., Edna D., Roy C., Junie B., Harry S., Elmer E., Grace, Fred and Lucille I. Mrs. Latham was born at Spring Lake, and is the daughter of Harvey and Mary (Conley) Benson. Mr. Benson is now a resident of Kewanee.
The paternal grandfather of George A. Latham, Dr. Hubbard Latham, was born in Long Island, and at an early day moved to Illinois. In 1849 he went to California with his son, William, making the journey overland by ox- team, subsequently returning to New York, where he married. Later he again came to Illinois and settled in Malone Township. The maternal grandparents of Mr. Latham were George and Ann (Stone) Youle, both of whom were natives of England. His parents were Hubbard E. and Hannah (Youle) Latham, the former born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1832, the latter in England in 1834. The father came to Illinois and purchased a farm in Malone Township, which he later disposed of and moved to Green Valley, finally removing to Manito, Mason County, but now resides at Delavan. He held the office of Collector of Malone Township for five years, and has been Constable for a like period.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1037