EDWARD S. MEDBERY
Edward S. Medbery is a native of Dodge County, Wis., born on Nov. 1, 1853, and obtained his education in the common schools of that locality. Prior to his marriage, in 1881, he was engaged in various occupations, and after that event located in Barton County, Kans., where he worked on a ranch for sixteen years. Removing to Hittle Township, Tazewell County, he established himself as a successful farmer. By energetic methods and careful attention to business principles, he has acquired nearly 1,000 acres of excellent land, which is well adapted both to general farming and stockraising, and upon which he has erected a large brick house and commodious outbuildings, barns, etc. Mr. Medberry was married at Arlington, Ill., March 10, 1881, to Miss Frances C. Verry, daughter of William A. and Sarah A. (Farnsworth) Verry, who was born at Arlington, Ill., July 17, 1856. Mr. Verry was born in 1819 and came from Mississippi to Illinois at a very early day, locating in Jacksonville, but subsequently removed to Hittle Township, Tazewell County, where he purchased land and became a prosperous farmer, at the time of his death in 1898 being the proprietor of 3,800 acres. His wife also died in 1898.
The parents of Mr. Medbery were Henry and Julia (Blockner) Medbery, the father being a native of Rhode Island (born in 1797), and the mother of Lansingburg, N. Y., the birth-year of the latter being 1820. Mr. Medbery removed from Rhode Island to Michigan, where he was engaged in farming until he settled in Wisconsin, where he resided until his death in 1873. His wife is still living on the old homestead in Wisconsin.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward S. Medbery became the parents of six children: Claude, who died when thirteen years old; two children who died in infancy; Deem A., living at home; Mabel and Harold.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 1045