EDWARD C. CULBERTSON
Edward C. Culbertson, a retired farmer of Delavan Township, was born on a farm near Zanesville, Ohio, October 29, 1826, and there remained assisting his parents until attaining the age of twenty-eight years, removing to Tazewell County in September. 1864. His education had been acquired in the county schools during his early life, and prior to coming to Illinois he had held local office, including the position of Justice of the Peace. Upon settling in Tazewell County he bought a farm of 160 acres one and a half miles from Delavan, which he sold to his son and purchased another 160 acres across the road. In December, 1890, he bought a lot on South Locust Street, Delavan, on which he erected a handsome residence, and there lives in the calm retirement of a well spent life.
Mr. Culbertson has been a trustee and a very faithful worker in the Methodist Church of Delavan ever since its organization, having been a class leader for a great many years. He became identified with the denomination as early as 1851. In politics he is a Democrat, and has satisfactorily filled the offices of School Director and Town Treasurer.
On November 30, 1854, Mr. Culbertson was united in marriage to Miss Ruth C. Sheets, at Zanesville, Ohio, and six children have been born to them, viz.: William, Maurice, Lizzie, John, Belle and Ruth. Our subject’s grandparents were Alexander and Elizabeth Culbertson who were Pennsylvanians by birth. His maternal grandparents were Samuel and Jane (Flood) Beavers, both of them being natives of Virginia. John Culbertson, the father of Edward C., was born in Pennsylvania July 4, 1792, and married Miss Anna Flood, a native of Virginia. The father died in 1861, and the mother on April 25. 1841.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Tazewell County - page 991