Lisle Township History
from "1874 Atlas and History of DuPage County, Illinois"
|"This township has the credit of being the first settled town in the county, although before any actual settlement can be claimed many trappers and hunters camped upon the DuPage river, and Indian traders were familiar with its topography, but such adventurers can not in any sense be claimed as "actual settlers." Without question, to Bailey Hobson rightfully belongs the credit of being the first settler of Lisle township, and as the county at that time (spring of 1830) was one vast common, it may well be said that this was "Hobson's choice." Among those who settled immediately after Mr. Hobson were: Deacon Pomeroy Goodrich, Isaac Clark, J. C. Hatch, John Thompson, John Sargeant, Lewis Ellsworth, Thomas Jellies, Martin Asher, Stanley Brothers, E. Bush, a Mr. Paine, H. Puffer, John Naper, R. M. Sweet, and undoubtedly others of whom we have no knowledge. From this settlement the population rapidly increased, until it is now one of the foremost towns in the county. Lisle is, perhaps, the best watered and timbered township in DuPage county, and is in all respects well adapted for agricultural purposes, and many of the model farms of the DuPage valley are in this town.
Since the completion of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad the lands have become very valuable. Lisle station, a small village on the railroad, bids fair to become one of the suburban towns of some importance, at an early day. The dairy business is becoming a large interest to the farmers of this region, and is rapidly on the increase, and is opening up to the farmers of Lisle township a new branch of agricultural industry. The moral and religious sentiment of Lisle is of a high order, and from the first church organization, in 1833, the cause has never been suffered to wane; but is as sincerely cherished by the people to-day as when Deacons Pomeroy, Goodrich, and Clark first elevated the standard. As early as 1835, the Congregational society of Lisle and Downer's Grove erected a union church about on and one-half miles west of Downer's Grove, and it was occupied by these societies until 1855. In 1864 or 5 these societies divided, building an church at Downer's Grove, also at Lisle Station. A post-office is now located at Lisle Station. The manufacturing of Lisle is limited to brick-making, which is carried on to considerable extent. The schools are well attended, have good buildings, kept in good repair, Much might be written in regard to the hardships and trials of the early settlers of this township, but should we attempt giving the personal history of one town, the same in justice must be done with all, which would make altogether too voluminous wa work, and in many instances be only a repetition, as many (if not all) of these early reminiscences have been published."