Naperville History 1874
Excerpts From the "1874 Atlas & History of DuPage County" The old stone bride (1856-1892) over the DuPage river at main street looking west toward the Naper mill, from a painting by Hannah Ditzler Alspaugh.
"Naperville Clarion is published at Naperville, by D. B. Givler. It is issued weekly, and has a wide circulation; it is well received by the public, and liberally patronized by the business men, and is in all respects a first-class county paper.
"The Baptist Church of Naperville was organized in September, 1843, by Morgan Edwards, with seven members. A house of worship was commenced the same year, and, the following year, was occupied by the Baptist and Congregational Societies alternately. In 1846, the church was removed and enlarged, and, from its belfry, the first church bell of DuPage County sent forth its gladsome peals. The present membership is about fifty.
"CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY- This society was organized by citizens of Lisle and Naperville townships, as early as 1833, on July 13th, by Revs. N. C. Clark, Jeremiah Porter, and C. W. Babbit. this, without doubt, was the first church organization in DuPage county. The present house of worship was erected about 1840. The Society now numbers about eighty members."
"The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Naperville was organized in 1858, with twenty members. The church building was built at an early day; but in 1871, it was rebuilt and improved. Present membership about sixty.
"The German Roman Catholic Church of Naperville was organized as early as 1844, the same year erecting a small house of worship; when in 1864, a large stone house was built, being the largest house of worship in Naperville, the old building being now used for school purposes. this church probably has the largest membership in DuPage county."
"SCHOOLS- The common schools of Naperville are of a high order, consisting of one graded school, with 6 teachers, and 350 pupils; one public school, 2 teachers, and 150 pupils; on private Roman Catholic School, 150 pupils. these in connection with the Northwestern College, comprise the schools of Naperville.
"The German Evangelical Church of Naperville was organized in 1838, with members from seven families. the first house of worship was erected in 1840, and used until 1857, when a new brick building ws erected at a cost of about $8,000, and probably the finest church-building in the place. Present membership about 300. In the fall, 1871, a few members withdrew from this church and formed an English branch of the same church, with thirty-seven members, and is now called the English Mission of Naperville- using for the
present the chapel in the College as a place of worship, with a present membership of 175.
"St. John's Episcopal Church. The first church service held by this society was on October 16, 1838, by Rev. A. A. Cornish. On June 4, 1850, an association was formed under the name of 'Parish of St. John's church,' consisting of 30 members. In 1862, Rev. S. T. Allen became the rector of the parish. The first church edifice was erected in 1865, and consecrated April 24th of the same year. A rectory ws built in 1870. Present membership, about 70."
"The Methodist Epicopal Church society held preaching as early as 1835, but was not organized until 1837. their first house was erected in 1845, at a cost of about $2,000, and has since been remodeled and improved at a cost of about $2,000 more. The present membership numbers about 75."
"John Stenger's Brewery is a large, substantial stone building, located in the northwestern portion of the town, and is one of the largest of its kind in the State, furnishing employment to about thirty men and eight or ten teams.
"The DuPage Brewery, owned by Von Hollen & Kluetsch, is also one of the institutions of Naperville, and is doing a large business, furnishing employment to several men and teams, and sending their product over a large extent of country.
"Reuch & Strauss are engaged in manufacturing plows, using the old "Naperville pattern" so widely known among the farmers of the Northwest. They are meeting with good success, as their enterprise deserves.
" Martin & King represent the Brick and Tile interests, and are doing a successful business."