Lucretia Wait

Lucretia Wait, daughter of Henry and Sophia Wait, was born in Switzerland county Indiana, on March 23, 1839. There among the hills and timber, sparkling springs and winding streams, she spent her girlhood days, until at the age of twenty, she came to Illinois to live with her brother. On March 18, 1863, she was married to Augustus Kendall. To them were born six children--Mrs. Lettie Dunn and Mrs. Ida Halstead of Hamlet, Mrs. Viola Candor of Coggswell, N. Dak., Meigs Wait Kendall at home and two sons who died in infancy. Besides the grieving husband and children, she is survived by six grandchildren, a sister, Mrs. Sarah Walker, of Corvallis, Ore., and a brother, Meigs Wait, of Reynolds, Ill. Mention should be made of Miss Rhoda Cunningham, a niece of Mrs. Kendall, whom she took at the age of six years and who lived with the family as one of them until her marriage. Miss Winifred Boyles has also been a member of the family for about eight years. These two girls Mrs Kendall lived for and trained as if they were her own and they in turn were diligent, faithful and loving. To Mrs. Kendall there was no place like home, no companionship so dear as the companionship of those she loved. Truly she was a devoted wife and mother and a fast friend to whom many hearts clung. About fifteen years ago the deceased began to fail in health. The disease which fastened itself upon her strong and beautiful form caused her much suffering, especially at the last; but she bore it all cheerfully, patiently and courageously. And on last Sabbath, just as the sun was hiding his face from us and the holy day was closing, the sun of her life set and and the day of her earthly pilgrimage closed, for death came and relieved her of her suffering and she went to her rest, "For so He giveth to His beloved sleep." Funeral ceremonies were held at the residence at 2 o'clock, Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 10, in the presence of many friends and acquaintances. Rev. L.F. Cooper of the Hamlet Presbyterian church, delivered the sermon. Interment was made in the cemetery at Reynolds.

-- Source unknown, November 1910