"Situated on the extreme eastern line of the county, is a fine agricultural township. The Chicago and Northwestern Railroad passes entirely through the northern side of the town. Mr. Elisha Fish has the credit, by some, as being the first settler; and by others it is claimed that there were actual settlers at a prior date; but we have failed to find any record of their names, or date of settlement. Mr. Fish settled in the south-east corner of the town, and on the west bank of Salt Creek. Perhaps no town in the county can boast of more fine farms than York. The people are enterprising, and of the progressive stamp. There are two flourishing villages in this township- Lombard and Elmhurst. Lombard is situated on section seven, being on the west side of the town, and on the site better known to old settlers as Babcock's Grove; but no plat by that name was ever recorded. Lombard is 20 miles west of chicago, on the main line of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. It was platted by Isaac Claflin and others, and recorded April 23, 1868. The village is located on beautiful rolling lands, with an altitude high and dry, making its natural sanitary position second to none.
"The First Church of Christ was organized in this place, in 1866, by Rev. James Tompkins, with fourteen members, and erected a house of worship at a cost of $9,000. In 1870, a division of the church occurred, by the withdrawal of ten members, who formed a new society, under the name of the First Congregational Church, and, in 1871, erected a church building at a cost of $5,000. In 1873, a new organization was formed, embracing the two churches, under the name of the First church of Lombard. The present membership is 46. There is one school-building in Lombard, employing two teachers, with about 75 pupils. Lombard is one of the growing towns of the county, and bids fair to become a beautiful suburban town. There is a German Lutheran Church located at York Center, with twenty-five members; an one mile south the Methodist Society also have a church organization and a church building.
"ELMHURST is also situated in this township, and is on and comprises the old site of Cottage Hill. This place also is on beautiful ground, and has already made a fair start towards becoming a city. It is on the main line of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad, and is one of the old towns of the county. Many beautiful residences surround the village, among which are Messrs. Bryan's, Wadham's, Lieutenant-Governor Hoffman's, Lathrop's, and others. Cottage Hill was recorded as early as 1854, and changed to Elmhurst in 1869. It is 16 miles west of Chicago, and is fast becoming a beautiful suburban town.
"MAMMOTH SPRING. This spring has many peculiarities. It burst through the earth's surface in the spring of 1861, making a loud report. It is located in the highway, between lands owned by G.H. Talmadge and Robert Reed. This spring possesses many medicinal properties, and may yet become a famous place of resort.
"The United German Evangelical Church was organized in 1873, and hold services in the college chapel. Prof. Kranz is pastor.
"Mr. Thomas B. Bryan has also erected a fine church building on his premises, and near his fine residence, in which service is regularly held.
"The German Evangelical Pro. Seminary was founded in 1870 by the German Evangelical Synod of the West, and is in charge of Prof. Charles Kranz, and has fifty pupils in attendance. It is in a prosperous condition.
The German Roman Catholic Church was organized in 1862, and erected a building in 1863, at a cost of $1,200. Present membership, 56."