Federal Civilian Employment Records

Fact Sheet
Records do exist to document the employment history of individual civilian employees. These records are administered by the National Archives and Records Administration.
Records relating to Federal employment of civilians are subject to U.S. Office of Personnel Managment regulations governing release of information from personnel records consistent with the provisions of the Public Information Act of 1966 (5 U.S.C. 552).
Information furnished is limited to name, position titles, grades, salaries, and duty stations.


A written request must be submitted to:

 National Personnel Records Center

(Civilian Personnel Records)
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118-4199
(319) 425 - 5761 information line

(319) 425 - 5733


The request must include the reason for the request. For example, are you a relative doing genealogical research?


The request should include as much detailed information about the individual as you can provide, for example:




 "Military Service Records in the National Archives of the United States," National Archives and Records Administration General Information Leaflet Number 7, revised 1985