Frank Hughes  
Death of Frank Hughes
We had merely time before going to press last week to announce the tragic death of Frank Hughes.
From what we can learn, the following is nearly a true statement of facts in the case:
  The father of the deceased is a farmer residing about four miles south west of Naperville, and on the evening of July 9th, went with his sons and hired men into a hay field to work during the cool of the evening.  Frank desired to drive the team and permission was given to do so, but before he had driven the team very long, one of the horses caught the line under its tail and began to run.  He tried to stop the horses, but was unsuccessful, and the right spring of the seat breaking next to the mower, he was thrown in front of the sickle and so fearfully mangled and cut up that he did not survive the injuries.
 As soon as his father and others saw what had happened they went to his rescue, sent for horse and buggy to take him home, sent for surgical assistance, and did all in their power to save his life and alleviate his suffering.
  Drs. Bell and Potter were on hand as soon as possible, and found that Frank's right leg had been literally sawed off between the knee and hip joint, that he had two fingers cut off his right hand, and that his left arm was injured and his left hand fearfully lacerated.
  After due consultation, and by consent of B.W. Hughes, deceased's father, the doctors proceeded to amputate right leg, and the unfortunate boy seemed to endure the operation right manfully.  This having been successfully performed, the next in order would have been the amputating of left arm, but before the surgeons were ready to enter upon this painful duty, the boy
showed signs of great exhaustion, and it was deemed advisable to wait until exhausted nature had rallied its strength; but alas could not be done, and Frank breathed his last about 2 o'clock on the morning of July 10th, 1872.
  Dr. Potter remained to properly prepare the mangled corpse for the rites of burial; and while combing the hair of deceased, ascertained a serious wound on the head, occasioned, perhaps, by being thrown upon one of the sickle guards, causing concussion of the brain, and death in so short a time.
  The funeral took place on the 11th, and was attended by a large concourse of relatives and friends.  His remains were interred in Naperville Cemetery.
 Submitted by Mike Johnston
Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 120 of 167)