Elizabeth Sevier Cunningham
CUNNINGHAM - Buried, at the age of seventy-three, from her home in Naperville, Ill., June 14th, Mrs. E. Cunningham.
The departed was the widow of Rev. John W. Cunningham, pastor for years of Presbyterian churches in Jonesboro, E. Tenn., and LaPorte, Ind. also for the last two years of his ministry, of the Congregational Church in Naperville; years of such wonderful growth and upbuilding for the church, as can only be the result of the natural tact, large experience and rich stores of wisdom that he possessed.
After he went away, his gentle, home-loving wife, though cheerful and courageous for the sake of the daughters, to whome the father had been teacher, friend and adviser, was lonely in heart and was often reading of the "many mansions" prepared by the dear Savior, and wishing herself there; and so He came and took her home without any painful farewell, to be welcomed by husband and children, where they together may wait for the home-coming of the rest. The last -----the casket was hallowed by sweet words of scripture and prayer, and the singing by a select choir, of the beautiful hymns, "Till He Cometh," and "My faith looks up to Thee," as well as the beautiful floral tributes. Then the casket enclosed the loved mother's sacred form, seeming peaceful sleep, was born e out from her home the last resting place by the side of the husband of her youth. The solemn service was ended; the bereaved daughters returned to their home where never more would a mother's would a mother be visible with them we lingered by the open grave, and sweet pleasant thoughts and memories filled our hearts.
CONTRIBUTOR'S NOTES: Elizabeth died June 14, 1881, and is buried in the Naperville Cemetery with her husband and children.
Elizabeth was born October 13, 1809 in Greeneville, Tennessee, the daughter of Valentine Sevier and Nancy Dinwiddie. She married Rev. Dr. John Whitfield Cunningham in Greene County, Tennessee, October 20, 1831.
Children of John Whitfield Cunningham & Elizabeth Sevier:
(1) Jane I. Cunningham b: in Tennessee d: in Tennessee?
(2) John Valentine Cunningham b: Abt. 1832 in Tennessee; d: August 23, 1867 in Naperville, DuPage County,
(3) Katherine Mitchell Cunningham b: 1834 in Jonesborough, Washington Co.Tennessee; d: August 06, 1916 in Fort Scott, Kansas; Burial: Naperville Cemetery, Naperville, Illinois; m.Cheney Moses Castle
(4) Nancy Jane Cunningham b: March 17, 1837 in Jonesboro, Tennessee; d: October 21, 1909 in Minneapolis, MN Burial: Naperville Cemetery, Naperville, Illinois; m. Herman W. Knickerbocker b: November 20, 1813 in Renesselaer County, NY m: July 26, 1877 in Naperville, Illinois
(5) William Alexander Cunningham b: April 1841 in Jonesborough, Washington Co, Tennessee; d: September 28, 1842 in Greeneville, Tennessee; Burial: Old Harmony Cemetery, Greeneville, Greene Co, TN
(6) Lucinda Isabel Cunningham b: March 15, 1844 in Jonesborough, Washington Co, Tennessee; d: February 07, 1909 in Fort Scott, Kansas; Burial: Naperville Cemetery, Naperville, Illinois; m. Rev. William Clay Porter November 27, 1866 in Naperville, Illinois d: March 21, 1911 in Fort Scott, Kansas Burial: Naperville Cemetery, Naperville, Illinois
This file was contributed for use by the DuPage County ILGenWeb Project by:
Slowly transcribed from photocopy of original published obituary by Pat Sabin, January 13, 2013