From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)|
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.
REV. JACOB BARR KING, pastor of the United Brethren Church of Alexis, is now living on his farm on section 27, Lomax Township, Henderson County. A native of Pennsylvania, he was born in Lancaster County, February 22, 1843, and is a son of Jacob and Martha (Barr) King, both of whom were natives of the Keystone State. The family, however, is of German lineage. The father was twice married. He wedded Annie Ritzer, and to them were born two children: Annie, now deceased; and Sarah, widow of John R. Campbell of Salem, Ohio. Four children were born of the second union: Esther M., wife of J. W. Hartzell, of Kansas; Mattie, wife of John Cooper, who is living in Terre Haute, Ill.; Jacob B. of this sketch; and John Hugh, a wagon and carriage manufacturer of Shenandoah, Iowa.
In the usual manner of farm lads, Mr. King of this sketch was reared to manhood. He came West with his parents in 1856, when a lad of eleven summers, the family locating upon a farm in Henderson County, where he now makes his home. He attended the district schools of the neighborhood until eighteen years of age, and then entered the college at Denmark, Iowa, from which institution he graduated in 1864. He also studied theology, pursuing a three-years course in order to fit himself for the ministry. His first pastoral work was done at home. For eight years he labored with the United Brethren Church in this locality, during which time he erected two churches, one in Colusa and the other three miles east of Dallas City. During the vears 1875 and 1876, he engaged in preaching in Fowler, Adams County, and during the two succeeding years he was pastor of the church at Da Prairie.
During that time Mr. King was married. On Christmas Day. 1877, he wedded Miss Louisa George, daughter of Henry and Mary ( Steck) George. Their union has been blessed with four children: Tillie, George L., Bessie A., and Eva L, who died at the age of one month.
In 1878, Mr. King returned home and for two years labored at Terre Haute. He then spent two years at Sciota, McDonough County, and some time later was pastor of a church at Quincy for two years, but on account of failing health he was forced to retire from the ministry for a year. In 1892 he accepted a call from the church at Alexis, and is now its pastor. A fine house of worship has recently been erected and the church is now in a flourishing condition. Mr. King resides upon the old homestead, which comprises two hundred and forty acres of rich land in Lomax Township, and personally superintends the cultivation of his farm. He is a warm advocate of Republican principles, supporting that party on questions of national importance, and is a friend to temperance and education. By example as well as precept he is a teacher of the Gospel, and his consistent Christian life has won him the love and regard with all with whom he has been brought in contact. For many years he has resided in this locality and has a wide acquaintance.