John R. Foster
From the Portrait and biographical record of Hancock, McDonough and Henderson counties, Illinois : containing
biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county (1894)
May, 1894. Lake City Publishing Co.
JOHN R. FOSTER, a farmer residing on section 5, township 10 north, range 4 west, is numbered among the native
sons of Henderson County, his birth having occurred on the 17th of December, 1844. He is a worthy representative of
one of the pioneer families of the community. His father, William A. Foster, was a native of South Carolina, born
in the Abbeyville District on the 1 6th of November, 1816,. When a young man of twenty-one years he determined to
seek a home and fortune in the West, and, emigrating to Illinois, took up his residence in Warren County, where he
spent about three years. He then came to Henderson County, and on the 28th of April, 1 84 1, was here married to
Miss Jane McDill. They began their domestic life in Little York, and the following children were born of their
union, namely: John, Samuel, George C. and James.
No event of special importance occurred during the childhood and youth of our subject, who was reared in his
parents' home. Like the family, he shared in some of the trials and inconveniences of frontier life. His early
education was acquired in the common schools of the neighborhood, and he afterwards attended Monmouth College, of
Monmouth, 111., for one year. Subsequently he took a course of study in Bryant & Stratton's Business College,
of Chicago. On attaining to man's estate he began earning his own livelihood, and to his efforts, his perseverance
and good management may be attributed his success in life. On the 21 st of August, 1867, Mr. Foster was united in
marriage with Miss Lorena T. Campbell, a daughter of Rev. 'W. S. and Lorena (Hendricks) Campbell. Her parents were
both natives of Tennessee, the former born in Blount County, and the latter in Carter County. Four children graced
the union of our subject and his wife: Mary A., now the wife of H. A. Boyer; William H., Roberts, and Gracie G.,
who are still at home.
In 1866 and the year following Mr. Foster was engaged in merchandising in Biggsville. In 1868, his health
failing, he moved out and settled upon a tract of land he inherited from his father, on which he has since made his
home. When he became its owner it was but little improved, not a building having been erected upon it, while the
land was still almost in its primitive condition. A residence, barns and outbuildings were erected and other
accessories and conveniences added, until now the farm has become one of the best in the neighborhood.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Foster are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Their home is noted for its
hospitality and they have many friends throughout the community. Mr. Foster has served as School Director for nine
years, and is still filling that office in a creditable and accept- able manner, as is indicated by his long
continuance therein. He votes with the Republican party, and socially is connected with Biggsville Lodge No. 236,
A. O. U. W.